Photoshop CS3 Crashes on First Action

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by simplebeep, Mar 1, 2010.

1. simplebeep macrumors member

simplebeep

I've been having a particularly peculiar problem lately with Photoshop CS3: Every time I try to use it, it immediately crashes. I'll open it, the splash screen will appear like normal, and everything appears to be OK. Then, when I go to do anything, (like opening an image, creating a new one…), Photoshop crashes. This is not a sporadic problem, nor is it a random one. It happens every time! I have not had my precious Photoshop for a couple of weeks (since about Mid-February).

I'm using a MacBook with Snow Leopard 10.6.2. I'm not sure if this is the culprit, but I've heard some buzz that Security Update 2010-001 (which I have installed) is causing problems with CS3. So far I've ruled out Dropbox, Displaperture, FinderPop, issues within my account, and disk permissions; and I've reinstalled Photoshop outright (granted, it didn't wipe out my pref's or licenses). The exact same problem has happened to several other people I know, and the only thing in common is that we a) use Photoshop CS3, b) use Snow Leopard, and c) keep our systems up-to-date. Furthermore, I do some Cocoa development, and every time my application starts, I get errors in the debugger console about loading Adobe's Applescript extensions. Weird.

Does anyone know how I might go about fixing this?
    Thanks!

(P.S. The entire crash report is waaaaaay too long to put here, but you can see it for a limited time at http://tr.im/Qj7N ).

2. TheCoupe macrumors member

This is most likely a font conflict. I know you're not actually using fonts to do anything as such, but a customer of mine just had a very similar problem with Flash CS4, exactly the same symptoms and it was a few fonts installed in their home folders fonts directory.

Open Font Book and look for any errors, or temporarily remove fonts from your home directory, home/Library/Fonts.

3. simplebeep thread starter macrumors member

simplebeep

Thanks for the suggestion. Alas, I moved the fonts from my fonts folders (both in my Home folder and the one in Library), restarted, and Photoshop's still a no-go. :(