Photoshop CS3 installation problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Rahlmac, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Rahlmac macrumors newbie

I'm trying to install CS3 on my macbook. I'm running OS X 10.5.8 and when I click 'setup' to install CS3 , it gives me an error window that reads: "System Requirements Error: This software cannot be installed because the file system of the OS volume is not supported."
    Not really sure what to do next. Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

If you open Disk Utility and select the boot drive, then click on the Info button near the top, what does it say? How is the drive formatted?

CS3 will not install on a drive that uses a case-sensitive file system. Have you ever erased or partitioned the drive?

3. Rahlmac thread starter macrumors newbie

In the disk utility under File System it says: "Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)"

It says Partition Number: 2.

I have never partitioned it. I bought it a few months ago 'open-box' from Best buy - meaning that it was purchased and returned almost immediately, and they restored it at the store before I left. I haven't altered anything otherwise.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Sounds like someone bought it, messed with the drive, partitioning it or Best Buy didn't do the erase and reformat entirely right, before putting it back on the shelves again.

As far as I know, nothing short of: backing everything you have up, then erasing and reformatting the drive and then reinstalling everything again will do the trick. Formatting the drive to HFS+ i.e. Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Tough situation, but maybe someone else here might have a better solution. Are you running Time Machine to another drive or have any current backups at all? How important is CS3 to you?

5. Rahlmac thread starter macrumors newbie

I run Time Machine to back up to an external. Learned the hard way a while back with that. So, backing up is no issue.
    Perhaps a complete restore (or reformatting, if that would be the proper term in this case) is a good idea, because I'm also having issues with the 'Keychain login'. Every time I start the computer and attempt to run anything, it asks for me to log in to keychain, but doesn't require it because clicking cancel or OK in the window does away with it. When I bought it - there was no master password and I had to set one to be able to do anything requiring permission. I have had this issue with keychain ever since.
    I am actually still under the full warranty with Best Buy. Would it be best to give it to them and tell them what to do with it? Or is this something I should do myself?

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

7. Rahlmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok. Thank you for all of the info. I don't have my external here at the moment, so it will need to wait a day or so. I think I'll give it a go on my own though. I'll repost on this thread if I have problems with it.

Thanks again for everything.