Photoshop CS3 is frustrating

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jwt, May 28, 2008.

1. jwt macrumors 6502

I'm trying to remove people from some scenes I shot over the weekend, and I'm using the following tutorial that was recommended on this board.

http://frederickvan.com/blog/2008/04/06/photoshop-tutorial-removing-crowds/

Unfortunately, it's almost like he's using a completely different program (He says PS3 and that's what I'm using too). Please follow along with the following side by side comparison.

The first two are his (left) and my views of the Scripts menu item. He has two more items than I do in that menu. Not a big deal, but it highlights a difference.

Follow along in the next post.

Attached Files:

• 1a.png
      1a.png
      File size:
      288.7 KB
      Views:
    • 1b.png
      1b.png
      File size:
      614 KB
      Views:
  2. jwt thread starter macrumors 6502

Next, he has the option of loading as a smart object. I don't. No big deal, since I can create one from the layers menu.

Attached Files:

• 2a.png
      2a.png
      File size:
      251.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2b.png
      2b.png
      File size:
      530.1 KB
      Views:
  3. jwt thread starter macrumors 6502

The last and final blow that breaks the deal. I have no options to change the stack mode, so I can't do what I want to do. Help.

Attached Files:

• 3a.png
      3a.png
      File size:
      309.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3b.png
      3b.png
      File size:
      701.9 KB
      Views:
  4. termina3 macrumors 65816

And do these small discrepancies prevent you from performing the process?

replied before I saw the 2nd post… just a sec

5. bocomo macrumors 6502

6. jwt thread starter macrumors 6502

Great. Is there any way to get those stack modes without upgrading?

7. kidkaprie macrumors member

kidkaprie

8. ChrisA macrumors G4

The problem is that you are trying to copy the tutorial exactly. PS3 is very flexible even allowing yu to change the menus and keyboard shortcuts. Everyone sets up their system the way they like. Yes, you can make the program look very different if you want.

The way to use these tooturials is to read them and learn the concepts. If the author is worth anything at all he will say many times "There are several ways to do this A, B and C but I like D.." You want to learn the concepts, like how layers work and what is a "smart object" and so on.

I think what you are doing is atempting to skip the part about learning the basica and jump right into getting the job done. Understandable but this always leads to being tripped up by some tiny little problem.

One good way to learn the basics is to buy a subscription at lynda.com for $25 then you can watch as many hours of streming video tutorials as you can for a month. They have hundreds of hours on-line. It really is the best way, short of going back to school to learn.