Photoshop CS3 Large Format File keeps quiting

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ArlonKathy, Apr 15, 2009.

1. ArlonKathy macrumors newbie

At one point I reinstalled PS3, but now I have the problem again.I often have problems with large format files in PS3. It was working fine, but after a couple of hours it "unexpectedly quit....". I have relaunched, tossed preferences, etc. When I force quit, the PS3 icon in the dock still shows up with the dot and the Force Quit window shows up with no indication that there is a problem. When I try to reboot many times I have to use the power button on the mac. Finally i got PS3 to open...I opened up a different file and it worked fine, but the large format file tried to open and it came up with "Could not complete your request because of a program error." Photoshop locked up. Do my large file formats get corrupted for some reason?

I have a MacPro, Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 2.66 GHZ, 2 processors, and 16G B memory...There should not be a memory problem with this machine. Why do I always have problems with a large format file??????

2. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

3. ArlonKathy thread starter macrumors newbie

Photoshop CS3 Large Format File keeps quiting

File size is 168"W x 45"H at 300 dpi

4. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

PS3 or CS3? And you created it in CS4 or something? I'm not understanding. But your file is over the 30,000 pixel limit (at 50,400 x 13,500) and that means you have to use the version you created it with (if there are problems). Also you're saving this in .PSB format?

You should be fine with RAM as that's only about 3.8 GB in 16-bit or 1.9 GB in 8-bit.

I have 12 GB RAM currently and I created one in CS4 with your dimensions and added 10 layers of various gradients and everything was fine RAM-wise It didn't even go to the cache or anything.