Photoshop CS3 Memeory setting w/8GB of ram

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by snagitseven, Feb 21, 2008.

1. snagitseven macrumors member

I just got my new Mac Pro set up and Photoshop CS3 running. My question is how high can I/should I set the memory usage in prefs?

I know that PS can only use about 3.7GB total and that anything above that will be used for scratch before turning to a hard drive. Since I have 8GB, it seems like it makes sense to set it to 100% as there is plenty of overhead for the system but I'm not sure if that would be optimal.

Can't seem to find a good answer with Google. Thoughts?

2. Keebler macrumors 68030

i'm setting mine to 100%. if you've got the extra ram for other processes then

give 'er eh! :)

3. snagitseven thread starter macrumors member

How much Ram do you have installed and have you done any testing with different settings?

4. jtblueberry macrumors regular

Adobe recommends starting at 70% and add 5% at a time to test performance. I think you're good at 100% though but not sure so you may want to start at 100 and test down in increments.
    With 14gb 100% seems best to me.

5. WetToad macrumors newbie

You have too many toys for one person, and it will have to be confiscated. Please send me your address so I can pick it up immediately.

6. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

You must be lost. Let me point you in the direction of the "Everyone 18 & Under post your setups" thread.

7. WetToad macrumors newbie

Ouch.

I fart in your general direction!!! (And I saw that when it was first released in theatre, punk.) :p

I admit it. I saw all of his cameras and had major lens envy.

(btw, here's some of my work... http://www.s30d.com/digitalart/art.htm)