Photoshop CS3 or CS4?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SnowLeopard2008, Jan 3, 2009.

1. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Which one will be a better purchase for my system? I will eventually upgrade to the unibody if that helps. I'm trying to learn photoshop (as in deeper than common knowledge) and unsure of which to buy. Which one is more compatible with Leopard and the future Snow Leopard? Which would be the better investment? Easier to learn? I'm hoping to use this version for a few years at least. Any suggestions?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If you find a good deal on CS3 buy it, CS4 is not really that exciting of an update. I use both and I haven't found anything in CS4 that I couldn't live without and don't feel like I'm missing anything when I go back to CS3.

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Depends on which system you wanna run CS4 on, from my recent experiment I discovered that my old CS3 runs better on my ageing MBP SR 2.2, it seems to be less resource hungry and it feels more stable at the moment. If your not sure, why not download the 30day trial (if they're still available) of both and see which one feels better? They can co-exist.

4. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

CS3 is nice..I can't find anything that's any different n CS4 than in CS3. Besides CS3 works very nice..:D

5. pyth macrumors member

I have CS3 on our school computers (iMac) and have recently acquired CS4 at home. I see a huge difference. If you're trying to go beyond just normal photo editing, then I would say CS4. It has a whole section just for 3D objects. There are some little differences that I've seen that make it worth it too, such as the use of tabs in a window so you don't have 8 different windows for one project. The toolkit is also laid out in a more aesthetically pleasing manner.

6. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Thanks, I'll purchase CS3 for now since I'm just learning Photoshop and won't be dealing with 3D objects for a long while. I heard CS5 will be 64-bit and etc, so I'll buy CS5 once I've mastered the basics. Thanks for the help!