photoshop cs3 SUBSTITUTE?!?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by candychunk, Nov 12, 2007.

1. candychunk macrumors member

i know psp cs3 cant be replaced, but is there any FREE alternatives out there that i can download? i dont wanna spend hundreds of bucks for a software that i wont use THAT much

so, is there such thing? just as good or ALMOST as good... i mostly want to use it for making page layouts, designs... with some good paintbrushes maybe? :)

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah...nothing else free with that kind of power. Only a precious few non-free options with that kind of power for that matter.

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

Have you looked at Pixelmator? While not free, for the price of $59 it could be a very good substitute.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Pixelmator is a great idea, but it is at least a couple of years away from competing with Photoshop. It's way too feature poor at the moment. Unless you are doing a very constrained set of tasks (say the kinds of things you could also do in Lightroom or Aperture instead of PS), Pixelmator seems like it isn't realistic.

Don't get me wrong. I think it's a great effort. It's just not in the same league. It's at this point, however, like comparing the drawing tools in Powerpoint to Adobe Illustrator.

6. candychunk thread starter macrumors member

i downloaded gimp, three times... first time, it wouldnt work at all.. second, kept getting an error.... third time... it would work but once i tried drawing/painting... the program would just close... totally, no warning :confused:

is it leopard compatible?