photoshop CS3 vs. CS4

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by maflynn, Jul 28, 2009.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm a bit late to the party ;) but I am wondering if its worth the cost to upgrade to CS4. I'm a light to medium user of photoshop. Mainly some light graphics work or work on my photos. I'm planning on buying lightroom later and that got me thinking about upgrading to CS4.

I'm not sure if the updates to the features in CS4 make it worth the cost? Anyone wish to add their two cents in.

2. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

Sounds like it wouldn't really be worth it for you.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Wait for CS5, it's due within a year I think.

4. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Been thinking abit about the same myself, i'm still studying so CS4 isn't very expensive, just unsure if there is any reason to upgrade.

5. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

A year!

To OP, If you can afford (I assume you can) I would just get CS4....Not that much different to CS3 imo.... But if you ask me theres no point waiting and waiting for the latest updates...especially a year from now.

6. sumzitup macrumors newbie

Im waiting it out for CS5, CS4 doesn't offer any 'must have' features for my situation.

If CS3 is working for you and you cant see any features that will increase your work flow, then their is no harm in waiting another year to see what Adobe can offer with CS5.

7. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The only reason why I'm asking is I just bought a copy of LightRoom and there's a tighter integration between LR and cs4 which is leading me to wonder if its worthwhile for the upgrade. The adjustments panel looks interesting but given that we're halfway over 2009 and its possible we'll see a CS5 in 2010 I thinking waiting might be the best medicine. Of course the price will go up for me to upgrade CS3 to CS5.

Another thing is that adobe is having a sale and I can pick up the web premium or the design standard for a hundred dollars less then typically priced. I own the web premium now but it seems ot make more economical sense for design standard is 399 (regularly 499) and the web premium is 499 (regularly 599) Of course dropping 400 to 500 bucks is no laughing matter