Photoshop CS3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jwt, Feb 28, 2008.

1. jwt macrumors 6502

When dealing with 16-bit images, several Filters are no longer available. With 8-bit images they are. The example images attached are of a 57MB file. Why are my filters no longer available? This is a big deal since I only deal with 16-bit images. I have a Penryn mac pro with 2 GB of RAM.

Attached Files:

2. n8c macrumors member

I've always thought that this was normal PS behavior. I just assumed that PS simply couldn't manage certain filter operations on 16-bit images, but maybe someone can enlighten us further.

3. phiberglass macrumors 6502a

phiberglass

I thought that same ^^

Maybee if you convert it to CMYK/RGB it may change, but I would need to mess around.

4. jwt thread starter macrumors 6502

5. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

That is correct. PhotoShop cannot perform certain features based on the file type. It's one way for PhotoShop to stop users from trying to perform functions that cannot be done.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

No, it's not a memory issue. Many of the standard filters and plug-ins go back a few years... many third party plug-ins that are aimed at professional photographers will support 16 bit images, though.

To be honest, most of those filters are so destructive and unsophisticated, that using them in 16 bit mode would be a bit pointless.