Photoshop CS4 *always* thinks that it has unexpectly quit

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PkennethV, Feb 23, 2009.

1. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

I've only been having this problem since upgrading to CS4. Every single (and I mean literally, every time - even if I just open it and close it) time I quit Photoshop (normally, Photoshop > Quit or Command Q), the blue dot on the dock will still stay there for ~15 seconds, then a notification will pop up saying that it has quit unexpectedly, (as if I had force quit it). Then another window will pop up asking me to send the crash report to adobe. It has never quit properly once.

I have tried a fresh re-install of Photoshop and the problem still occurs. Tried repairing permissions as well.

Any idea what's going on here?

Edit: and I have also tired re-creating the Photoshop preference file.

2. chuckcalo macrumors regular

I suggest you uninstall Photoshop and delete the folder located in /Library/Application Support/Adobe and YOURUSERNAME/Library/Application Support/Adobe and try installing again.

3. PkennethV thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for you reply chuckcalo. Do you know if this will mean that I'll have to reinstall my third part plugins again?

4. PkennethV thread starter macrumors 6502a

Never mind my last post, I went ahead and delete those files anyways. Reinstalled Photoshop and...still the exact same problems. I know for sure it can't be the plugins I have installed because this problem started even before that (I just waited, hoping an update will fix it).

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I assume you've tried repairing permissions on your hard drive, and reset your pram etc?

6. PkennethV thread starter macrumors 6502a

Permissions yes, pram no...I guess I'll go look that up now...

7. PkennethV thread starter macrumors 6502a

hmm no luck with that either. I've reset PRAM and tired to repair permissions since I figured I might as well do it again...that's when I remember something odd about repairing permissions.

It would say "permissions repair complete", but then above it, it would list a bunch of things that will not be repaired. And sure enough, even if i tried to repair permissions 3 times in a row, the exact same errors would show in the log...

Code:
    	Reading the permissions database can take several minutes.

ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Sites".
    ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Desktop".
    ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library/Application Support".
    ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library/Assistants".
    ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers".
    ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components".
    ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Digidesign".
    ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST".
    ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins".
    ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library/Audio/Sounds/Alerts".
    ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library/Audio/Sounds/Banks".
    ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library/Audio/Sounds".
    ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library/Audio".
    ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library/ColorPickers".
    ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library/Compositions".
    ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library/Favorites".
    ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library/FontCollections".
    ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library/Fonts".
    ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library/iMovie/Plug-ins".
    ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library/iMovie/Sound Effects".
    ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library/iMovie".
    ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library/Input Methods".
    ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library/Internet Plug-Ins".
    ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library/Keyboard Layouts".
    ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library/Preferences".
    ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library/Printers".
    ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library/Screen Savers".
    ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library/Sounds".
    ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library/Voices".
    ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library".
    ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Movies".
    ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Music".
    ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Pictures".
    ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Public".
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Filesystems/AppleShare/afpLoad" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/setregion" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Versions/A/Resources/runner" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Printers/IOMs/LPRIOM.plugin/Contents/MacOS/LPRIOMHelper" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Group differs on "private/etc/cups", should be 0, group is 26.
    Permissions differ on "private/var/spool/cups/cache/rss", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are drwxrwxr-x .

Permissions repair complete

Any idea how to fix this or if this might be what is causing the problem? I'm not the best at this, but from looking through, there doesn't seem to be anything that would have to do with Photoshop in the log.

8. Segmac macrumors newbie

Same issue and I cant seem to find anything on the Adobe site.. this is starting to drive me a bit nutty. Only PS and IL crash, same for you?

9. PkennethV thread starter macrumors 6502a

Only happens to Photoshop for me. What's IL by the way? Illustrator? Because I think the letters for Illustrator are AI...

10. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Wait, you UPGRADED to CS4? Completely erase CS3, remove all CS3 icons from the Applications folder, then Install CS4, upgrading, especially on Leopard causes issues.
    Its complicated, but Photoshop likes to mess with lots of system settings, including screenshots and other stuff, so it needs a clean install. The best option is to back up using time machine, then reinstall OS X, and copy over files and settings and applications from the backup, then install photoshop CS4

11. PkennethV thread starter macrumors 6502a

I didn't delete my CS3 stuff until I finished upgrading to CS4.

12. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Dont delete your CS3 work, just your CS3 program files, you need to remove everything, every little weedy bit before installing CS4.