Photoshop CS4: Help for a complete newbie!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PrinceAlexander, Oct 26, 2008.

1. PrinceAlexander macrumors member

I just downloaded, and am doing a trial run of the Adobe Master Suite (just for kicks).

I am primarily interested in Photoshop, and am keen to learn how to tidy up, edit, and improve my digital photos, most of which are stored in iPhoto.

The problem is that I have no experience with the program, and I'm completely lost. Not only do I not know HOW to do things, but I'm not sure WHAT to do. It seems to be a very sharp learning curve.

I know this board is brimming with Adobe afficianados. Can anyone point me to some MAC CS4 tutorials for complete idiots?! :eek:

2. dcubed20 macrumors member

Since CS4 has been out for about seven minutes, you're unlikely to find any guides (or people, for that matter) with experience with it. Instead, you should google some guides for Photoshop CS3. 99% of what's going to concern you hasn't changed, or it's changed to the degree that with a little bit of critical thinking you'll be able to figure out what's going on. The CS4 stuff will only start to appear once the software really hits mainstream. Right now CS3 is still what most people use.

3. PrinceAlexander thread starter macrumors member

I thought that might be the case. Can you point me to some great beginner stuff for CS3? Google comes up with an insane amount of stuff, and I'm not sure where to start...

4. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Check out Layersmagazine.com

5. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

6. PrinceAlexander thread starter macrumors member

Just what I was looking for. Thanks for the help, as always!

7. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

You might also wanna join the NAPP - National Association of Photoshop Professionals (Layers mag is under their umbrella as well.) It's $100 a year, and I've been a member there since '06. When I joined, Photoshop was little more to me than a glorified image editor, and with the support they have on the site, you really can learn a lot :)