Photoshop CS4 - Marquee stuck top left

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ed State, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Ed State macrumors member

Every time I open a new doc in PS CS4 and use the MARQUEE tool, it "locks" itself to the upper left-hand corner, and I can't resize it or drag it anywhere. It only makes a selection out to where I initially click the mouse.

Very frustrating.

I re-installed Snow Leopard along w/ CS4 Design Premium a month ago after a HD implosion, but it's doing the same thing w/ this new install. And I'm up to date on all software, etc.

It's only remedied by adding a new layer, or switching Spaces, and switching back.

Any ideas?

:confused:

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Move the .plist to the desktop and restart PS CS4

3. Ed State thread starter macrumors member

I did that. Amongst multiple other things. And then I was on the phone w/ Adobe for about 2 hours 2ith them sharing my screen, and me recreating the behavior over, and over, and over, and then trying myriad more things.

All to no avail.

Weird thing is that I THOUGHT switching Spaces was the trick, but it turns out that it "fixes itself" after some random stuff as well. It could be switching Spaces, adding a new layer, hiding and unhiding PS, etc. Or, sometimes it even eventually fixes itself in the same document, after a lot of futzing. But all after some annoying effort on my part.

It happens probably 8-out-of-10 times I use PS.

Sux.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That's pretty strange that you re-installed SL and CS4 and it still does this. If anything, that should've fixed it. The only difference between mine and yours is that I have CS4 Master Collection on SL. My marquee works normally in PS.

5. OdduWon macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

Just a thought, is you MARQUEE tool's aspect ratio set to a specific dimension/resolution? I somehow set mine to 1px once and it threw me off for a minute. Using this setting is helpful for making desktop wallpapers, but can cause more clicks if you forget to change it back.

6. Digital Reform macrumors newbie

Digital Reform

don't know if you figured it out, but i sometimes have the same problem...even had it a few minutes ago, why i found myself here. then i remembered how i got the marquee box to stop constraining to the corner.

go to Image > Mode > then select 16 Bits/Channel or 32 Bits/Channel. if i'm correct yours should be on 8 Bits/Channel and for some reason that's locking it. mine works now, hope yours too. God bless and peace