Photoshop CS4 no longer recognizes .NEF (RAW)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DTR, Apr 2, 2010.

1. DTR macrumors newbie

DTR

Hi there,
    I just noticed today that Photoshop will no longer open .NEF (RAW) image files.

"Could not complete your request because photoshop does not recognize this type of file."

I know this gets asked alot and it's usually down to the camera raw plugin being out of date but it's been working fine for over a year probably with the latest raw plugin.

I tried reinstalling Photoshop and also reinstalling the latest version of Camera Raw but it still fails to open these files.

It's more than a bit annoying as i'm a student studying photography and need to access these files for obvious reasons!

Has anyone come across this before?

Thanks

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I just tried it with a *.NEF file from my Canon and PS4 opened the camera raw plug-in first then it opened the file.

Try using the Adobe updater.

3. DTR thread starter macrumors newbie

DTR

Ok i've fixed it at last.

I ended up uninstalling the entire Adobe suite and trying again, which still didn't work.

I also found that it was only filed from my Nikon D90 that wouldn't open and old files from my Nikon D40 would still be ok.

Anyway, then I found on the Adobe site about installing the Camera Raw plugin manually, going through Library directory etc. So i downloaded the manual version and replaced the one already in the directory and that seemed to fix it.