Photoshop CS4 not showing true colors

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by yarjarrar, Feb 24, 2009.

1. yarjarrar macrumors member

Hi, I use Photoshop a lot, and I need the colors to be true to what they look like. But I noticed that when I preview a picture, the colors look a bit different than they do in photoshop. How can I fix this?

2. hamish11 macrumors newbie

3. yarjarrar thread starter macrumors member

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Colour calibration is a compromise at best. Different applications can interpret embedded profiles in slightly different ways, but it's worth checking what profile you're using to output your Photoshop files. Make sure it's something fairly standard like sRGB (assuming you're not producing images for print).

Do bear in mind, however, that your image will look different on another screen - even another screen of the same make, if it's not calibrated the same way. If you're producing artwork for professional print, there's no substitute for a wet proof, but if you're just creating images for printing on your own printer - or for display on the web, it's just a case of trying to find an acceptable compromise. A screen will NEVER display an image with exactly the same colour balance, contrast and gamma as a printed image. Likewise, if you're producing images for web use, they will look different to Windows users and can even vary between different browsers on the same platform. You just have to get used to the differences and use your judgement.

5. yarjarrar thread starter macrumors member

The thing is, I'm making the pictures for a book that I'm going to publish. So they're not just going to be on the web. And I opened a picture I made in Photoshop, and then in preview, and Photoshop looked different. Then I did the same thing on my external monitor and it did the same thing. So it's not just my screen trying to fool me. Is there some sort of color option I can change in Photoshop for pictures that will be printed?
    And thanks for the help.