Photoshop CS4

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iJesus, Mar 13, 2009.

1. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

Hi there, I've searched for the solution to this problem but I can't quite find it. I'm trying to install Photoshop CS4 (regular, didn't have the money for extended) and it doesn't let me. Perhaps it's the amount of available HD space on my laptop. There are 4.3 GB of HD space left on this MacBook (2,1). Anyone know what's going on? The program says it's already installed, I believe.

Attached Files:

2. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Well if you have another version (older) of Photoshop installed that could be one prob, second, it says at the bottom: Available space 4.2 gb - Total space 5.3 gb.

So basically, you don't have enough HDD space. Try removing a few components by doing a custom install rather than recommended.

But I really don't know why it says that Photoshop is already installed if you don't have it installed. If you do have an older version installed, remove it?

3. iJesus thread starter macrumors 6502a

iJesus

Well, the only other Adobe program that I have is lightroom. It says 5.3 MB btw. I also ran the adobe uninstaller and it doesn't register any other programs except lightroom and AIR.

4. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Oh you're right... Hmm thats odd. I'd go through anything you can find on your computer that is related to photoshop or cs4 and uninstall it... Not sure. I'm out of ideas lol.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You don't have enough space left on your hard drive to run OS X properly, let alone adding CS4 to the drive.

To run both Photoshop and OSX effectively, you need at least 10Gb free on a drive after installation because both will take up that space with scratch and swap files.

Trash some stuff, or burn some DVDs with data or move stuff onto an external drive.

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

also erase free space, check out your disk utilities app and see where all your free space is being used. I found OS X had made an 80GB partition on its own without me telling it had, which it used to store deleted items from the trash, how random, but a real pain to get rid of.

7. OneBlueFire macrumors member

OneBlueFire

4.3GB just doesn't cut it. Photoshop is a hard drive intensive program, as is OSX. They'll use tremendous amounts of hard drive space as a scratch area.

Rule of thumb is to leave about 10% of your hard drive space alone as a scratch/swap/paging area.

Try deleting files or get an external HD to move all of your other documents to it or think about getting a larger HD.