Photoshop CS5 considerably slow

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mknabster, May 23, 2010.

1. mknabster macrumors regular

I have Photoshop CS5 x64 for my Mac, and over CS4 and CS3, I have noticed a considerable speed decrease in how it runs and handles images. I mainly use it for photography work like RAW conversions and image editing. When I bring RAWs into Camera RAW, it takes PS about 1.5x slower than CS4 to import them. Then when i'm moving the sliders for each category, there is about a 1 second delay upon the image changing. Now when I did this in CS4, it was instant. Same with something as simple as moving from one image to the next in the thumbnails to the left of the screen, there is major lag when I want to move between images. Moving away from CameraRAW, when I try to open a batch of images straight into PS, it takes freakin' forever to do so, CS4 took about half the time to import a nice sized batch, it's rediculous. Why is PS so slow, is it just because it's fresh out of the box and needs an update?

2. jwt macrumors 6502

Barefeats did a speed comparison and found that PS CS5 seems to need a "warm-up" period. After that, the speed is comparable.

I agree, though. On my MBP it is really slow compared to CS3. I have to say that actually I like CS3 better. CS5 seems really buggy, so hopefully we'll get an update that addresses the bugginess and sluggishness.

3. mknabster thread starter macrumors regular

Wow there's a warm-up period? I guess just like when you first install OSX on a new machine, mine has a period of about 2-3 days. Doy you know how long the period is?

4. Harry6 macrumors member

Harry6

Clone tool in CS5

Hello there,

Would anyone have any idea why I can not have 100% opacity when I am cloning? in CS5 or is there any setting to be set? By the way I am using Wacom tablet.

Many thanks for your time.

5. Harry6 macrumors member

Harry6

Just sorted! it is working now. thanks.