Photoshop CS5 GPU Detection on Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by benborman, Apr 30, 2010.

1. benborman macrumors member

Just downloaded the CS5 Master Suite Trial.

Here's my Setup:

MacPro 1,1 with ATI 4870 Driving a 24" LED ACD (Center) and a 20" ACD (right) AND the original 7300 GT driving another 20" ACD (left).

Under Preferences > Performance > GPU Settings, PS is only detecting the much weaker 7300 GT, and not allowing advanced settings/performance of the HD 4870.

(Previously, CS4 automatically detects the 4870.)

Anyone else with multiple/mixed GPUs having this issue?

EDIT: Came across this article on nVidia's site, the wording almost sounds like Photoshop favors nVidia hardware over other brands. I know its not too common to have mixed GPUs in one system, but I know there are other users that do on this forum...anyone....? Bueller?

2. Roc macrumors newbie

Benbo,

I too am having this problem. Though my 4870 is a flashed one. PS only sees the weaker Nvidia card.

Would really like to know if there is a solution.

Roc

3. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

From what I've read, Photoshop's GPU acceleration is not playing real well with ATI cards in OS X at this time; whether your card is flashed or not wouldn't matter.

4. benborman thread starter macrumors member

So I was playing around with this a bit today, did some experiments to see if I could get the proper card to be detected.

I quit Photoshop, powered off and disconnected the monitor hooked up to the 7300 GT, restarted Photoshop, and it detected the ATI 4870, with much better performance I might add, zooming and dragging around a large layered PSD.

I could then re-attach the monitor and use my setup as normal. If I quit Photoshop and re-opened, it would again choose the weaker card, which indicates that the preference is re-set every time the app opens.

There is a lengthy Adobe KB doc that details GPU support in Photoshop CS5. Notice the long list of known issues with the GT7300 under Mac OS...

5. goMac macrumors 603

IMO CS5 was not well written/tested...

Adobe works closely with NVidia. A lot of their products have GPU acceleration that only works with NVidia cards. I haven't worked much with PS CS5, but I think PS CS5 is supposed to work with ATI. Still, it wouldn't surprise me if there were issues.