Photoshop CS5 Runs Better On Win or Mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Whitelightning, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Whitelightning, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011

Whitelightning macrumors regular

Getting Macbook Pro 15'' So just out of curiosity, does Photoshop CS5 run better on the Windows side or the Mac side?

I definitely will be bootcamping to get Windows 7 on the other side... want to get an idea which side photoshop cs5 should land on for best performance/less bugs/64-bit support, etc.

2. benpatient macrumors 68000

it might be slightly faster in windows, but the overall CS5 experience is actually much better in OS X with a couple of limitations.

Windows CS5 users will probably say there is no difference, and it seems that way at a glance, but the way you work in Adobe programs will be different on a PC, and from my experience, it's just faster to get things done in PS, IL, and ID in an OS X environment.

Flash is a toss-up, and DW is too, but the "trinity" of design apps work better in OS X.

3. Hansr macrumors 6502a

A benchmark on a scripted set of functions will be faster under Windows but general usage working with multiple files etc will be faster in MacOS because of better memory management and OS process handling.

Basically it's marginal speed increase vs fluid workflow. That's why most people prefer using Macs for Photoshop.

4. wd40, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011

wd40 macrumors newbie

What exactly do you mean by this? I too am deciding between running cs5 in bootcamp or os x after recently purchasing a new macbook pro 15". Working with many of the apps in OS X has thus far felt less efficient, but that's most likely because I am still getting used to OSX after a lifetime on windows.

5. HBOC macrumors 68020

My question is why you would get a Mac to run CS5 under Windows? I have Master Collection CS4 and it runs great under Mac (meaning I have no problems with it).

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If it's on a Mac, run it on OS X. No question there. Windows drivers are pretty weak in bootcamp, so you may run into issues there (trackpad/mouse specifically) I'd say just the overall workflow of OS X will be beneficial, especially for stuff in Ps.

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

^^^ same here ... I run CS5 apps on my MBP fine ... no need for windows

8. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

Using windows through Bootcamp is not like using windows on a normal windows PC, it's slower, so probably it's faster if you use it in your Mac.

Anyway, since I started using mac i've hated when I use windows, I don't find it easy to use anymore.

9. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Actually, using windows through bootcamp is exactly like using windows on a PC. It's natively running windows, which any x86 or x86_64 based PC (which a Mac is) can do. Running it through software like Parallels or VMWare Fusion is slower, however.

10. wd40 macrumors newbie

That's exactly what I thought - so in reality, running cs5 in a new 15" macbook (maxed out spec wise) is exactly like running cs5 in a windows machine with the same hardware.

Plus, aren't apple's windows drivers pretty well optimized? Perhaps even more so than Dell's, HP's etc et al since they have so many different model/hardware configurations to support?

11. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

I thought most designers are OSX based - there-go they would prefer OSX over Windows. Am I wrong? I've never seen a designer prefer to use a Windows machine.

12. c1phr macrumors 6502

From personal experience across both, the Windows versions are quite a bit more buggy, and prone to crashing than the OSX versions.

Though personally, going from my desktop to my Mac, I've noticed large speed improvements in PS, especially now that I have the CUDA driver installed.

13. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

LOL! Now there's an unbiased answer to OP was looking for.

Exactly what is the CS5 experience? I prefer the Windows version as that is where most of Adobes resources go.

14. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The drivers aren't great actually. It's kinda surprising, but the drivers for the trackpad and mouse are especially sucky. One would think they would take a little time to perfect them.

15. kasakka macrumors 68000

Adobe's current programs are pretty much crappy ports from Windows to Mac. Most things are not done in a way that fits OSX, starting from the custom installers (which just use the regular installer anyway) to software going into folders in Applications with all kinds of crap instead of just being the app like every other Mac program.

They also tend to break from time to time due to the crappy Flash-based UI implementation they've had since CS4. What seems to occur randomly is that every UI element becomes its own window in Expose, basically turning it into a huge mess until you restart the program.

Performancewise there isn't any real difference between OSX and Windows versions of Adobe's stuff.

So I think the real answer is that yes, they're equally crappy on both platforms but unfortunately there are no real alternatives.

16. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

I have to agree with most people here... I work full time with capture one pro and PhotoShop cs5 and my general impression is PhotoShop is better on a windows machine with windows, but when it comes to MAC there's no doubt that ox is better than bootcamped windows. So stick ps on the osx side and use windows for whatever programs you don't have or can get for mac...

17. wd40 macrumors newbie

Now that you mention it, I am having some difficulty clicking and dragging (index finger clicks down while middle finger moves the selected object/boundary-box).

I think that most of my troubles are keyboard shortcut related: the differences between osx and windows is not insignificant! Using my pinky finger to click the ctrl key at the bottom left of the keyboard just feels right... whereas using my (pinky? ring finger? I have no idea!) to click the cmd key located to the immediate left of the space bar just feels super awkward at present.

18. simsaladimbamba

I normally use my thumb to press the CMD key.

19. -Ken- macrumors regular

I don't see any difference in the two, nor does my wife. Same with Illustrator and Indesign.

20. endless17 macrumors member

they both run the same, though i do notice that the hardware accelerated panning/zooming seems a touch smoother on OSX than on Windows. that said, i do far more of my photoshop/after effects work on Windows since i have a Winboxen with much greater specs than my MBP (4.4ghz sandycore vs. 2.0ghz sandy core).

21. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

No. It's native.

22. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I use Photoshop in Windows and Mac on the same machine. In my experience Mac is faster (barely, just on things like filters). Its pretty much the same experience.

HOWEVER that being said, like others stated there is just something more fluid about working with Photoshop on a Mac that can't be matched by windows. I can't pinpoint it but its there. Also as others have stated having many files open will perform much better under Mac and Windows.

(Also I'm not sure who is saying Bootcamp is slower but thats false. Its the exact same as running Windows on a native machine).

The reason I have to run Photoshop on both OS's is because if I work in certain game engines some are windows only so I have to have Photoshop and Maya set up on both OS's, and both run on the same computer I just boot into whichever OS I need.