Photoshop CS5 with Parallels on Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Whitelightning, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Whitelightning macrumors regular

Would photoshop run fine in parallels desktop? Or would performance tank and should be put into bootcamp instead? (for windows version)

2. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Yes it would tank compared to native. It's usable but you'll be irritated compared to running it natively.

You can grab the crossgrade instead and just run the Mac version. I don't know what it costs but if I recall correctly it was $79 for just PS standard from CS2 to CS3. Just call up Adobe customer service and ask about it.

3. TheHoff macrumors 6502

Crossgrade is completely free if you're on the current version; just call Adobe and you'll get a new key. If you are a version back, Adobe phone support will charge you the upgrade price but will mail out the full retail version of your new platform (after you sign something saying you destroyed the old originals, no kidding).

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd just switch to the mac version, like others are saying. It appears to be free, which is definitely a good call by Adobe.

5. Whitelightning thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the crossgrade suggestion, I will definitely have to take that into consideration. My concern is performance on the CS5 suite in Windows vs Mac. I think I read somewhere that Adobe writes the applications for Windows first, then later ports it to the Mac, so maybe windows can get slightly better performance compared to the Mac for heavy processing? Bootcamp or Crossgrade, hmm...

6. Hansr macrumors 6502a

7. gullySn0wCat macrumors 6502

It depends. Adobes flagship products (Ps, Illustrator) have obviously gotten the most love. After that you run the gamut from Indesign (OK but buggy) to Dreamweaver (obvious port.)

I don't think on modern hardware that there would be a performance hit between the two, other than in the heads of people who spend their lives whining and arguing about which is better.

I would do the crossgrade just so you don't have to boot into Wind0ze all the time, but that's just me.