Photoshop CS5 x64 - Is it actually x64?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Joseph Meltzer, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Joseph Meltzer macrumors newbie

Hi, I just wanted to know your thoughts on Photoshop CS5 64-bit.

I run a MacBook (White) 2.16 Ghz 2007 model, which is running x64 Snow Leopard. When I open Photoshop CS5, the splash screen shows it is x64. So I wait for it to load, and based on Apple Developer news and articles, you can't have a 64-bit Carbon framework application. I knew that with Carbon framework applications, you can't drag a window around by its titlebar when it's not responding, or frozen. With the 64-bit enabled Cocoa framework you can. When it was loading, I tried dragging the titlebar, and it wouldn't work, so I thought maybe it isn't 64-bit after all. I inspected the program with Xray, and it told me it was Carbon. I was confused. Is Adobe having the Mac users on or is just my computer playing up?

2. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

I checked my Photoshop CS5 (I have Extended as part of my Master Suite) and Activity Monitor says Intel(64-bit) so it should be 64...

3. kasakka macrumors 68000

You can't expect normal OSX things to work in Adobe's software because they don't use regular UI components. Everything is faked. You can see they didn't even bother getting the close/minimize/maximize buttons in the right positions.

4. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

All I know is that CS5 runs noticeably faster than CS4 on mine.