Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexdi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2013
Title says it all. I want a rMBP 13. It's supposed to replace a Dell Latitude I bought in 2006 for sorting and editing 5D II raw files in Photoshop CC.

I assumed (a bad word) this wouldn't be a problem, but when I booted Photoshop CS6 on more than one rMBP 13 in the Apple store, I ran into severe lag. The first warning sign was that ACR responded to slider adjustments about as fast as the Dell. The Dell from eons ago with a Core Duo. The second was that all the basic tools lagged the cursor. Lasso, brushes, whatever. Animated zooms had a slight stutter.

Someone please tell me that this isn't normal, that it was fixed in CC, and that I don't have to abandon what appears to be the best system on the market because it doesn't like the program that put it on the map. Seriously, please. I want to buy this thing.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd say if you getting decent results at the store, then perhaps buy it, configure it to work as you need it and then see if it performs to your satisfaction. If not return it.

Personally, I think you may be better off the higher end 15" rMBP because of the discrete GPU and increased screen real estate. I was using LightRoom and Photoshop on a 13" MBP (non retina) and found the screen size just too limiting.

tigerintank

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
i'd add that the rMBP 13" is excellent (for me) at 1680 x 1050. if it wasn't i would have returned it and likely stepped up the the 15"

That said I haven't tried the OP apps, so my experience may not be transferrable

mac82

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2011
Title says it all. I want a rMBP 13. It's supposed to replace a Dell Latitude I bought in 2006 for sorting and editing 5D II raw files in Photoshop CC.

I assumed (a bad word) this wouldn't be a problem, but when I booted Photoshop CS6 on more than one rMBP 13 in the Apple store, I ran into severe lag. The first warning sign was that ACR responded to slider adjustments about as fast as the Dell. The Dell from eons ago with a Core Duo. The second was that all the basic tools lagged the cursor. Lasso, brushes, whatever. Animated zooms had a slight stutter.

Someone please tell me that this isn't normal, that it was fixed in CC, and that I don't have to abandon what appears to be the best system on the market because it doesn't like the program that put it on the map. Seriously, please. I want to buy this thing.

You have to go into preferences and the performance tab and set the graphics acceleration from advanced to basic. Under advanced it tries to offload much of the graphics processing to the gpu, and the 13" machine's integrated gpu isn't powerful enough. Under basic most graphics processing is done by the CPU.

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012
You have to go into preferences and the performance tab and set the graphics acceleration from advanced to basic. Under advanced it tries to offload much of the graphics processing to the gpu, and the 13" machine's integrated gpu isn't powerful enough. Under basic most graphics processing is done by the CPU.

Adobe's hardware acceleration doesn't even work well on systems that it should fly on. I run a GTX 680 on my home Windows desktop and it lags just as badly there as it does on a MacBook with an HD 4000 iGPU. Not fixed in CC either. I've never actually seen a system which doesn't experience brush lag (it's actually brush frame dropping, not "lag" in the traditional sense) with hardware acceleration in any modern version of PS.

Your best option is to disable it entirely (even "basic" still drops frames), at which point brush actions become responsive and completely smooth, however you'll lose things like canvas rotation in the process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.