Photoshop Elements 11, a newbie question.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by luisito, Jul 8, 2013.

1. luisito macrumors regular

luisito

I want to get into photoshop but as a complete newbie at it, a couple of questions arise.

I wonder, what is the difference between Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 from apple.com that is priced at 99 USD and the Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 Editor for 79 USD.

I also wonder, since I am discovering how Adobe works, how often they release software; Is there a new version of the software on the works? I do not want to spend my money to be surprised that a new version is about to be unveiled. For long has PSE 11 has been out there?

I will appreciate your input on this, I want to enjoy my new mac and get the best of my pictures.

If you got any tips, from a pro to a noob at photoshop, they are kindly welcome!

Thanks guys!

2. firedept, Jul 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2013

firedept macrumors 603

firedept

1. There is one difference between PS Elements 11 Editor and PS Elements 11. PS Elements 11 from Adobe's site come with the Organizer, whereas the Organizer does not come with the App Store PS Elements 11 Editor version. So you pay $20 more for the full version of PS Elements 11 from Adobe's site.

2. PS Elements has been around for approximately 1 year.

3. Not sure if a new version is in the making or not. Adobe has been going to Creative Cloud, which is a subscription based product for all of its Creative Suites. So not sure where they will go with PS Elements 11. The full version of PS Creative Cloud would cost you $20/mth.

4. PS Elements 11 is still a great program especially for someone new to PS. It is not the full version of CS6 PS Extended or PS Creative Cloud, but none the less real close and lots of great features. PS Elements will last you a few years before you will need more of a product.

3. DarkoDonnie macrumors member

DarkoDonnie

ps once you've mastered Elements, the PS Creative Cloud as mentioned above is a great option, super affordable, I couldn't be happier they've introduced it.

4. luisito thread starter macrumors regular

luisito

Is the Organizer necessary? I've seen some videos on youtube and looks like a cheap version of iPhoto. What are the benefits of the Organizer?

Does the Editor come with all the tools from the Full version?

Thanks!

----------

When I saw the price I kinda freaked out. Lol.
    I am a college student and I do not think that $240/yr comes cheap.

Cloud stuff always makes me feel very skeptical.

5. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Organizer is not a must have. I guess you could use iPhoto or manually do your organizing. Editor comes with all the tools of the full version of Elements.

You also state that PS CC is pricey, but you are getting the full version of PS with that subscription not a slightly watered down version of Elements. Still a lot cheaper than CS6 PS.

6. DarkoDonnie macrumors member

DarkoDonnie

per year, yes. it's a lot. By "mastered" I mean, maybe someone's paying you for a poster or banner or something. In which case, I'm just noting it's a great solution instead of paying retail upfront (which no one can afford, no one argue that line w/ me, no one can afford $1k software unless you're a business). Don't let the "cloud" word imply that it's working off remote servers and stealing your data, simply, it let's you use PS CS(latest) for only ~30$/month.

7. luisito thread starter macrumors regular

luisito

Excellent point, it would pay for itself; but I only want it for my personal stuff. Hehe.

----------

Would you recommend me if I go the Editor way? Honestly I have no PS knowledge whatsoever and I only want it for my personal use, very light work. Plus I have a $100 balance on the App Store from BacktoSchool promotion. I may move on once I learn the environment, that would be a good idea, I think.

8. luisito thread starter macrumors regular

luisito

Umm.. what about Aperture? Is it like Photoshop?

9. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Aperture is not PS.

I have never used Aperture personally, but my understanding is, Aperture gives you all the tools you need for photos. It brings you even more advanced ways to organize, browse and perfect images. And it integrates with iPhoto.

PS Editor will give you more editing tools to work with than Aperture, but no organization tools unless you buy full Elements 11 which comes with organizer.

If you are only using it for photo enhancement and organization, you might be better off with Aperture. Each program has its purposes. PS Elements can do more than just editing photos. I use PS to create posters, webdesign elements and many more things.

I can tell you that there is a learning curve to PS. Hopefully another member can pipe in and tell you more about Aperture. I can only tell you what I have read on the boards about it. It does seem to be popular though.

10. jrs22 macrumors 6502

If the OP has a copy to iPhoto that came with his/her Mac, can they set up PSE to be called from within iPhoto. That's what I did for pixelmator, which meets my current needs. That way iPhoto replaces the PSE organizer.

11. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

They most certainly can. They can setup any program that has been mentioned and run it from iPhoto.

12. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Aperture is more like iPhoto and much like Adobe Lightroom if you heard about it before. :apple:

13. luisito thread starter macrumors regular

luisito

Yea, been doing some light research about the topic. I now find myself disappointed to hear that Aperture is old software that has not been updated for a long time..

Now I find myself between Photoshop and Lightroom, still gotta find out the differences.

----------

So.. iPhoto would behave as the library and PSE as the tool? Bloody brilliant!

That would mean that any changes made by PSE are permanent with no original copy of the picture?

14. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

For me I am using Adobe Photoshop CS6 and Aparture version 3.4.5 I am still learning Aparture right now. :apple: