PhotoShop Elements 4.0 on Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brian0526, Nov 6, 2007.

1. brian0526 macrumors regular

Is anyone running PhotoShop Elements 4.0 on Leopard? I installed Leopard last week only to discover that PhotoShop Elements 2.0 won't even launch anymore. Adobe says Elements 4.0 isn't designed for Leopard. But, I'm now desperate for photo editing software. I've got about 5 years of learning invested in PhotoShop Elements. So, I'd prefer not to have to learn a new package.

I'm going to try out Acorn to see if I can get it to work. I downloaded Pixelmator. It looks sharp! But, the brother who designed it seem to have gone missing and their forums report many and major bugs when running it on Leopard (even though it was supposedly designed for Leopard).

I just need basic functionality to save pictures for my website. Just a lasso tool to drop out the backgrounds, change the contrast and brightness and to be able to save to .gifs and jpegs. Nothing real fancy.

2. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I'll be installing elements 4 on leopard tonight so will post my findings if nobody else has given you an answer by then. Have you ever tried GIMP for image editing?

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I've installed it and it seems to work fine, but I've not used it extensively (using Pixelmator more now), so can't give any guarantees!

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The reports seem to be unclear.. see this thread:

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8300945231/m/877003438831

Several people say it works, and several people say it crashes immediately. Some speculated it works on PPCs (suggesting this is a Rosetta issue), but others say it works on Intels also.

I know that Photoshop Elements installs things in /Library/Application Support that are necessary to run, so I wonder if some who are having trouble using it upgraded their installation, and if Leopard is not correctly transferring these files.

EDIT: Phil, speaking of performance controversy, how did Pixelmator run for you under Tiger, and how does it run under Leopard? Some people had said it was extremely slow on some CoreImage compliant computers. Ironically, as its claim to fame is that it uses CoreServices, it ran pretty well on Tiger on an iBook G4/800. :rolleyes:

5. brian0526 thread starter macrumors regular

The problem with trying PhotoShop Elements 4.0 is Adobe specifically says it is not supported on Leopard and that you may experience intermittent weird stuff. I know for a fact that 2.0 won't run on my machine (Intel running Leopard). It won't even launch.

Update on Pixelmator: one of the brothers posted in their forum that they are still alive and working on fixing the Leopard issues. Apparently, Apple did not release final code of Leopard to developers before launch so many are playing catch up.

So, Phil A.- you're using Pixelmator?

I'm torn now. I have the investment in learning PhotoShop Elements. But, I'm sick of Adobe treating us Mac users like dirt. We're now two releases behind Windoze and they're not even planning a Universal Binary until next year (which we'll have to "upgrade" to get). I've been holding out for the Universal Binary anyway since Elements 2.0 did everything I need.

6. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

It's running without any issues on my PowerMac G5 and on my CD MacBook Pro.

7. Taxer macrumors newbie

I installed Elements 4 on my new iMac running Leopard and so far as I can tell it is working fine. I've seen posts by others to the same effect.

8. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Oh boy! That's enough for me !

9. dancingrockets macrumors newbie

Wow. I really can't believe reading all of this!

I installed PE 4.0 the SAME DAY I upgraded to leopard without even thinking about it.
    After a few months, it started going wacky! Buttons would disappear, I would click a filter and nothing would happen, ect, ect

So, I decided tonight to Google the problems and I found hundreds of forums discussing it.

I really CANNOT believe that PE won't work on leopard! How can Adobe do this to us?

I am a faithful user and I feel left out in the storm.

I use an intel-based Macbook.

10. brian0526 thread starter macrumors regular

I've tried Acorn (don't like it). I've tried Pixelmator (still really beta software, IMO). I've been using PSE 2 for YEARS. Adobe says they'll have an Intel and Leopard version of PSE available in January. So, I installed 2.0 on my laptop and decided to hold off on upgrading it to Leopard until after Adobe releases the new PSE.

It's unbelievable to me there is no good solution for light photo editing on Leopard. I find Acorn and Pixelmator to be missing some very basic functionality of PSE. They're just a notch above iPhoto, IMO. So, as much as I hate to, I'll be paying Adobe for their new version whenever they get around to releasing it.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You know, if you're using PSE2, I understand not wanting to dump more money into software, but when the next PSE comes out, you'll really enjoy it. Adobe has done a *lot* with Photoshop Elements since revision 2. :)

12. brian0526 thread starter macrumors regular

PSE 2 did pretty much everything I need. Once Apple switched over to the Intel platform, I was waiting for Adobe to support it before upgrading. When the Leopard upgrade completely killed my PSE 2 software, I was ready to finally make the leap. Then, I found out the PSE 4 isn't even supported on Leopard. :mad:

I like the software. I'm just sick of Adobe ignoring Mac users. However, I've got a lot of time invested in PSE, know the tools and can just get things done. I've found nothing else that I can work with as easily, at any price.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, they did manage to get CS3 out the door. ;)

But I see your point. And I agree completely with your analysis of Pixelmator. Certainly for people like yourself with Intel Macs, there is a big void right now in this space.

14. TomGolden macrumors member

TomGolden

I put PE 4 on my MBP soon after it came out, and therefore had it on Tiger for a while before I upgraded to Leopard. I have had absolutely NO issues with it on Leopard to date, although my photo editing activities are extremely basic.

15. rowmcvie macrumors newbie

Can't Open Photos Stored in iPhoto

I'm not sure if this is related, but I have a new MacBook Pro that came with Tiger on it, I loaded Leopard, and then Photoshop Elements 4.0. It works OK but I am having a really hard time opening up a photo stored in the iPhoto folder with PE 4. The folder itself is greyed out. Sometimes Photoshop just locks up - all of the options in the drop downs are greyed out, including exiting. It's very frustrating.

Does anyone else have this problem?

16. jsbradley macrumors newbie

Trouble with PE4

I'm a first time Mac buyer, and having some bad experiences. 2 weeks after getting it, several programs just stopped working -- either wouldn't launch at all, or would quit unexpectedly. After re-installing the OS and re-upgrading to Leopard again, now I'm having issues with PE4. When I first installed PE4 I did not seem to experience any issues using it. Anyway, now when I open I get a message saying "One or more files in the Adobe Application Support Folder necessary for running PS are missing" and tells me to run the installer again. Problem is, it detects that PE is already installed and will not re-install. if I understand what I'm reading about uninstalling programs on the Mac, all I should have to do is drag the .app to the trash. But the installer still will not let me re-install after doing that.

Any advice? Anyone else get this same error message when starting PE4 on Leopard? Since I'm completely new to Macs, I admittedly don't know what I'm doing. I didn't even know that there could be issues with PE4 and Leopard, and of course nobody at Apple bothered to mention this while I was loading up with software when buying the MBP. :confused:

17. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I have PSE4 on a 2.16/2GB MacBook, and it sucks about as much as PSE 1 & 2 did. Freaking resource hog. It still looks like it would be more at home on System 8.6--or earlier. Just makes me grit my teeth every time I launch it (then go mow the lawn waiting for it to be ready to do anything. OK, not really, but over 30 seconds). It's a great tool for fan testing. Nearly 15% of my CPU time--just idling.

That being said, it doesn't crash or falter due to Leopard at all, and, it does do exactly what it sets out to do. I just hate Adobe's bloatware. But, I keep going back, ever hopeful...

18. Jazzimac macrumors newbie

In the same boat and not happy

I recently made the switch from PC to mac, and am very very happy with it at this stage. However I too am experiencing a lot of frustration when it comes to editng photos. I have tried iphoto, acorn, Pixelmator and find they all have huge deficits. I even bought Pixelmator thinking that it would suit. I can't even adjust levels and crop my photos in the same single application with any of these, and I have a workflow that has suited me well since PSE2.

I had heard that PSE6 for Mac was going to be released in around March 2008 and yet here I read Jan '08. I certainly hope so. I can't believe that Adobe has left such a hole in the market.

What is everyone doing for their photos at the moment? I have tried to create a new workflow,which includes
    >duplicate image
    >adjust levels
    >crop to 4x6 or 5x7
    >sharpen using unsharp mask
    >add digital elements if I so desire (psd and png brushes and flourishes which I have bought)
    >save for web
    >save in another file ready to put on CD or usb stick for processing

In none of the above programs can I crop and choose the area I wish to crop, I can't crop out distracting backgrounds as it's all automated. I also like to create a new document either 4x6 or 5x7 and have smaller images on them, cheaper processing and great for scrapbooking.

I would be interested in knowing how you are all managing your workflow.

To the initial poster who still used PSE2, you will be very impressed with the new version. Adobe have made some great improvements and adjustments.

19. r-gordon-7 macrumors newbie

At the expense of being booed and hissed at... (but I am, after all, just a newbie, still waiting for my first Mac to be delivered...) would a work-around be to install the Windows version of PSE and run it under Bootcamp or Parallels...? (Or would that just result in similar - or other - incomapatibilities/problems?)

r-gordon-7

20. Jazzimac macrumors newbie

I think I need win vista

I know that's possible, but I was under the understanding I would still need the windows operating system, in order to do that, which of course is expensive.

If I am wrong, please correct me, I would like there to be a solution this simple.

21. dirtleg macrumors member

Yes, you would need to install Windows under bootcamp in order to run Windows software versions. I too am hoping for a new version of PSE soon.

Did anyone notice the adds at the bottom of this thread? :D
    I laughed out loud when I saw them. Quite appropriate for the subject at hand. Are the adds determined by thread content?

22. Jazzimac macrumors newbie

thought so

I figured that was the case. I decided when I switched that I would leave this new mac as 'pure' as possible. I decided not to run windows on this machine.

I have read more reports of a January release......... I hope so.

23. littlevish macrumors member

24. matthew5384 macrumors newbie

PSE4 was working for me, but as of Mac OS X 10.5.3 update, it crashes on the load. I've tried trashing the preferences and repairing disk permissions. Any ideas, because I'm also desperate for an image editor, and I can't live with the GIMP. I guess I'll just have to wait until CS4 comes out and save some money.

25. RickBoxxly macrumors newbie

unbelieveable

This really sucks, I'm going back to Tiger. My year and-a -half old Macbook HD wiped out a few months back and the kind blokes who replaced it endowed me with Leopard. I don't use any of the new features and GB actually seems to run wayyyy slower than it once did. And now I go out and and buy a Wacom tablet only to find out that the bundled PSE simply won't work... period?? Screw it, it's time to revert