Photoshop Elements 5 question

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
ipoddin said:
Anyone estimate when the next version of PSE will be out and any word if it will be UB?
:rolleyes: PSE 4 is so new that I haven't yet gotten around to upgrading from PSE 3. Call back in a year.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
MisterMe said:
:rolleyes: PSE 4 is so new that I haven't yet gotten around to upgrading from PSE 3. Call back in a year.
I wonder what your habits have to do with this. :p

Photoshop Elements version 5 will probably be out about 6 months to 1 year after CS3, which is supposedly due in the first part of 2007.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I was a little bummed upgrading from PSE2 to PSE3, not even considering moving on to PSE4! They're gonna have to wow me first. In other words I'm probably saying I haven't even mastered Version 2.0 yet:eek:

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
srf4real said:
I was a little bummed upgrading from PSE2 to PSE3, not even considering moving on to PSE4! They're gonna have to wow me first. In other words I'm probably saying I haven't even mastered Version 2.0 yet:eek:
A UB version would be enough to wow me. But looks like it'll be awhile.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
London
I'm running PSE4 in rosetta and, start up time aside, it's fine. I'm not bothered it's not UB (it'd be nice but...) as the fact I'm using PSE not CS shows I'm no power user! :)

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I thought pse was kind of slow, always taking forever to do stuff...
Then I upgraded my ram to 1gb from 256mb, now pse 3 screams. I'll bet pse 5 demands 512mb - 1gb ram just for compatibilty! Still not buying version 4:p

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
ipoddin said:
Considering that you were asking the same question, it seemed appropriate or to report you for bumping the thread.

srf4real said:
I thought pse was kind of slow, always taking forever to do stuff...
Then I upgraded my ram to 1gb from 256mb, now pse 3 screams. I'll bet pse 5 demands 512mb - 1gb ram just for compatibilty! Still not buying version 4:p
512 MB to me is a minimum for Mac OS X to run nicely. Photoshop and Photoshop Elements wants as much memory as is possible. Bridge is a drag on the system but if you want to browse a folder, you have to use it in version 4 and up.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
bousozoku said:
That was the point of the thread.
It was? The first question was "any guesses how far away PSE 5 is?" whereas the new one is "Windows version is out, what sort of delay for the Mac version?"

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
Nermal said:
It was? The first question was "any guesses how far away PSE 5 is?" whereas the new one is "Windows version is out, what sort of delay for the Mac version?"
Precisely. Didn't need the sarcasm or the bumping police to show up. Go ahead, report me. :rolleyes:

Responses were 6 months to a year. And I just saw the windows version is out now so I'm wondering if people still think it's 6 months to a year.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Nermal said:
Actually, even his 1st question implied that he was asking how long before PSE 5 is out on the Mac, since he did ask whether we thought it'd be a UB.

So in a way, yes, he did ask the same question twice. ;)

And PSE 5 for Macs will probably be out at around the same time as CS3 for Macs, I think. It's really all just a guess, though.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
I get the impression that Adobe can't really be bothered with Apple Macs anymore.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
MacSA said:
I get the impression that Adobe can't really be bothered with Apple Macs anymore.
I don't think so, I think it's just they have a very large complex code base, I think they make 50% of their money from Mac users, and Lightroom is universal now, but TBH Photoshop Elements is designed for basic users, they shouldn't have any problem with the software through Rosetta...

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
So how come other software companies with very complex software have managed to release UB versions?