Photoshop Elements 6 q's.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by SOLLERBOY, Sep 13, 2008.

1. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

Hi guys , I've never used photoshop before but I'm doing a course at college that involves photoshop so I thought I would buy elements to get used to the basic functions / features.

I have just a couple of questions if you will be so kind as to answer them.

will this suit my needs for basic image manipulation and graphics design?

can I use Photoshop cs3 files(pc) with elements 6 (mac) ?

Is elements 6 good and does it run well on mac's?

Does this offer many features or is it really cut down from cs3??

Edit: One last thing , I need to be able to make graphics with images like posters etc , will this suffice?

Thanks.:)

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

it will run

I can only answer one question: adobe runs faster on mac's than on pc's. And it's almost native on mac os x. So I don't think it will be a problem running ps elements on your mac.

3. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

Are you serious?! Faster?!

4. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

I myself use PS Elements 6 for Windows and it does suit my basic needs. It lacks however masks, colour manipulation/ranges and a few other features that CS3 have.

For basics, it's great, but if you want to ever take it a bit further, you may wish you had some of the CS3 features.

5. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

You're overstating it a bit. The only color space option Elements doesn't have, as far as I know, is CMYK - not something that's commonly used in photo processing.

Elements supports layers, but not layer masks - however there are ways to fake it. The average photographer, though, probably couldn't care less about layer masks.

Basically, Photoshop Elements does everything the typical photographer care about - they're exactly the target market for the product.

Can you explain what exactly "make graphics with images like posters" means? It can be interpreted about 100 completely different ways.

6. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

Thank you. I never figured a way to make the masks that many tutorials required. After seeing that site though, I think Elements would be fine.