Photoshop Elements 9: how to change settings for filters/effects

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Argelius, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Argelius macrumors 6502

Argelius

I remember in prior versions of Photoshop Elements, when I applied an effect to a photo (Artistic, Blur, Noise, etc.) there was a toolbar/dialog that would let you adjust various parameters unique to each effect. Now, in PE 9 (for Mac), I cannot figure out how to access these settings -- they don't appear automatically when an effect is selected and I cant find where to turn this "on".

I've searched and searched and searched for this but cannot figure out how to do this.

Thanks!

2. bbthatsme macrumors newbie

I really need to figure this out too is, was a solution ever found?

3. Argelius thread starter macrumors 6502

Argelius

I finally figured it out (and forgot to return here to post the solution).

In the edit/effects panel on the right side, there's a little teensy, tiny icon on the extreme right that looks like four horizontal lines with a little down arrow. Click on it and check "automatically show filter gallery".

Not even remotely intuitive...

4. CleverPawn macrumors newbie

That answer didn't really help me, being new to Photoshop, but I did find an answer did help me. Perhaps I am not understanding the original issue, but my search brought me here, so I think we are talking about the same thing.

After an effect is applied, there is a little fx icon on the end of the layer selection field. If you click on that it gives you the settings for that particular effect and you can change any setting you want.