Photoshop Elements Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by michiarr, Jul 25, 2011.

1. michiarr macrumors newbie

There are a couple threads about this, but it didn't seem like anyone uses Photoshop for what I do, so I registered and here I am. Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I am on the cusp of upgrading to Lion. The only thing stopping me is this one outdated version of Photoshop Elements that I have been using for years. I love it and have grown very fond of it, but it is unfortunately a Power PC program, so it will run no more! I have set aside my sentimental feelings for it and I am looking for an alternative that is either Intel or Universal.

I need an image editing program that will allow me to work with layers AND save things as ANIMATED gifs. These two things are extremely important to me.

The cheaper the better (if it's freeware, then great!), but I am willing to pay. I've been scouring the App Store, but with no luck so far.

2. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I was going to say Pixelmator, it's a great application. BUT it doesn't do animated GIFS. It does everything else though. :(

3. madisonfaye macrumors regular

madisonfaye

Photoshop Elements 9 Editor just came out in the Mac App Store, not sure how in-depth it is because I haven't tested it yet.

4. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

Get Pixelmator for your photo work, and purchase a time traveling machine to go to the year 1997, when animated gifs had relevance.

All kidding aside, Pixelmator is great. I'd suggest buying it, and locating a separate animated gif tool for your nostalgia projects :)

5. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

What are you really asking for? Are you asking for an alternative to Photoshop Elements because you don't like it? Or are you asking for an alternative because you didn't realize they've come out with an intel processor version like 2+ years ago or unwilling to upgrade?

I've been using Photoshop Elements for 2 years now all on intel macs without using rosetta. I'm not sure what the question is.....

6. Synergie macrumors 6502a

Pixelmator gets my vote too.... (who actually uses animated gifs anymore??)

Or go full out and get PS CS5 :)

I actually have both but use mostly Photoshop. If I didn't have access to Photoshop, I'd use Pixelmator.

7. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

Pixelmator is a great app. Well worth the money.