Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Quite frankly, I'd say that Elements is *too* dumbed down to be considered a serious substitute for Photoshop. If you are a student, you can get a deeply discounted license of Photoshop. If not, I would take a look at a software called "The GIMP". Its not up to photoshop's par but I'd put it a cut above the Elements version.

edit - I wrote this out a while ago and forgot to submit. I guess I disagree with Jessica, but my advice is to download the free trial version (they offer one I'm sure) and see if it fits your style. If you like it, great, if not, no harm done. I'm sure its an excellent piece of software, I just never got a feel for it.
I tend to disagree here. PSE does everything that any picture taker would want it to do with more features along the way. PSE coupled with say that free trial of photomatix you use makes for an amazing combo if HDR is what you want. I think PSE when bundled with cheap old school photo printers was not a capable application, times have changed.

Please share with us specifically what is missing from Photoshop Elements that leads you to make this claim, because I don't think this is an accurate statement.
I think this is based on the fact that he is speaking from an experienced near-professional photographer's point of view. At least the images I've seen from him appear to be coming from someone who is skilled in many areas of photography and he may need the advanced tools in PS. Having only needed levels, curves, perhaps slight color correction as the basics myself...that and the fact that I'm more of a picture taker than anything, I can't really say how that statement is qualified.
I haven't used it since the 1.0 version that came bundled with an old digital camera so it might have changed since then. I recall it only having a few limited functions when I used it.
Oh see there. V 1 & 2 are versions that used to come with printers...for free. Clearly you will be using a product that is as limited as the Canon print suite with optional plugins to make your photos into comic strips! ;)
Sounds good to me...worth $100 anyway.
I really do not think you will be unhappy. Based on what you've already identified as your needs with what are some real basic needs of photographers today, I think PSE is a great idea and may even suit your needs even after you can afford PS.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Up to this point I've been relying on Graphic Converter and iPhoto for my editing tools, but I think I'm outgrowing this software. Most photo-editing tutorials are based around Photoshop, so I'd like to be able to use that software.

I can't afford Photoshop right now, but was considering getting Photoshop Elements. Is it worth it for someone planning to use Photoshop in the future but unable to afford it now? In particular, can I use it to learn more advanced techniques that take advantage of my SLR's capability, or is it too "dumbed down" for that?

Depending on your budget, you might take a look at, or trial Lightzone. It's a really good editor with zone system/film development tendencies. It's 20% off through the end of the year.

http://www.lightcrafts.com/

Basic will run about $120 and the full version ~$200 with the rebate.

Also, Bibble Light is $79 and Bibble Pro $129

http://www.bibblelabs.com/

If you shoot a lot with ultra-wides, Bibble's distortion correction rules. If you get Pro, you can run it on OSX, Windows or Linux.

You can trial them both and see what you think. They won't help with the PS tutorial issues, but they're both great pieces of software. I have CS3 and Capture NX and Bibble. If Lightzone had been ready in time, I'd probably have a copy of that too.

I haven't used it since the 1.0 version that came bundled with an old digital camera so it might have changed since then. I recall it only having a few limited functions when I used it.

*Cough* "might have changed?" *cough* You'd generally expect someone who wants people to read & respect their opinions to at least be aware of the subjects they're opining on. It's been five years since Elements 2.0 was released, even with the Mac version trailing by two, you're looking at three major releases of differences and spouting an opinion on an outdated 1.0 release that's six and a half years old is a significant disservice to the original poster.

It also makes me seriously question the validity of any opinion or review you'd post. Even version 1.0 of Elements wasn't all that bad- especially if you compare it to Photoshop LE! Ron Galbraith's review at the time[1] had the following "What's missing" list between the full Photoshop 6 and Elements 1.0[2]:

Actions
Curves
Selective Color
The ability to view or apply corrections to individual channels.
16-bit file support.
Lab or CMYK support

I'm curious about what PS wizardry you were trying to do with your P&S "Free copy of Photoshop Elements" camera's files that was so feature-limited.

Paul
[1] http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-3911-3920
[2] That doesn't include what's different, just what doesn't exist in Elements 1.0 that did in PS6

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Stop me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the "Merge to HDR" feature is only available in Photoshop...not a big deal for me, since I can get Photomatix.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Stop me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the "Merge to HDR" feature is only available in Photoshop...not a big deal for me, since I can get Photomatix.

I am fairly certain you are correct on that assumption. Not having used HDR in PS (I'm still using CS) I would say that Photomatix might have the market here. It seems to be the application tossed out most often in forums but having never used HDR in PS I can't honestly say which is better. Either way PSE doesn't have it so far as I understand.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

That's true, but PS's merge to HDR isn't great. If you can do masks and feather in PSE, you can get better results with a lot more work such as this workflow:

http://www.harzergruben.de/DRI/dri.htm

Otherwise, you can just get Photomatix, which does better than either.

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
I've used Photoshop for 15 years, now up to CS2 (Photoshop 9?). I also have Elements 4. In all honesty, Elements does everything I need, for a hell of a lot less money. PSE 4 is slightly broken in Leopard but still works well enough. I'll upgrade when the new version comes out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.