Photoshop - Elements or CS3?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by uMac, Mar 24, 2008.

1. uMac macrumors 6502

I'm using it for Photography and a bit of graphics work in relation to photography. May also do a few drawings / digital paintings.

Which version should I be looking at?

(I have Nikon NX already for white balances etc.)

Thanks.

2. closeupman macrumors member

closeupman

If you need to get a job, Photoshop CS 3, otherwise Elements is fine for 99.9% of the stuff you'll be doing and it has an easier learning curve.

And with the money you save (if you get Elements), you can get Corel Painter X for natural drawing.

3. macgroovy macrumors member

Depends how in depth you want to go. For most photo hobbyists Elements will be fine. CS3 is better for colour management.

The link below provides a good comparison (albeit between CS2 and Elements 5):

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/photoshop/f/elementscompare.htm

Neither program is particularly advanced when it comes to drawing.

4. uMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Hum, interesting link - I work in JPEG and RAW format (I would like to move more into RAW) and I have a few images in magazines and I'm looking towards some remuneration for photos as I advance in skill. However not looking to become professional as my day job pays to well and I enjoy it as well.

5. macgroovy macrumors member

You could also download the trial versions from the Adobe website to see what works best for you.

6. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Elements should do it for you, I work with RAW/NEF plus a few other formats depending on the job in hand, the color management within CS3 is better, I use CS3 for Black & White conversion work (but neutralize the whites in CS2) & HDR plus i prefer CS3's Raw Convertor , i also use CS2 for a lot of editing using layers and stuff plus its loaded with nik.alienskin & andromeda filters, but if i just wanted to edit RAW/JPEG images i'd Just get Elements ;)

As for Moving into RAW, Shoot RAW 100% of the Time, you'll find a big difference, takes getting used too if you have shot in JPEG :)

7. uMac thread starter macrumors 6502

I already shoot Raw + Jpeg 100% of the time. In the past I have not been doing as much photoshop as before, but as I get better at taking pictures I am finding I want to 'tweak' the picture more to get that bit of extra 'pop' out of it.

8. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Ideally if your getting better at taking pictures you should be doing less 'tweaking', try working on the saturation, levels & curves during processing to get those colors/contrast popping and CS3 is a great tool for the tweaking of images but it can all be done in Elements. Ideally your aim is 'more' camera time, 'less' processing. If all your doing is processing images your taking then save the extra bucks and get Elements, Personally if I was in the same situation your in & i didn't do the projects i do and only concerntrated on my photography i'd just get Elements :)

9. uMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the information (especially Mr.Noisy) I think i will go for elements. As it sounds like as much as I would like PS-CS3, I can save some $$$ for an extra lens which will do me much more good then the incremental increase in the two versions :cool:.

10. ghostguts macrumors regular

Good choice. Even though I use CS3, I have a friend who has elements, and there's clearly not a large difference, besides the price.

11. joeybagadonutz macrumors member

Good timing as 6.0 just released:
    http://www.macrumors.com/2008/03/24/adobe-shipping-photoshop-elements-6-for-mac/

If you are buying elements new, consider the Bamboo fun tablet. It was a deal ($89 at Amazon) including the Elements 4.0, Corel Painter Essentials 3.0, and Nik Color Efex Pro 2.0. I have no idea if it will be updated to include the newer 6.0., but maybe worth a brief delay. Macgroovy's advice on the trial versions is good. Try before you buy.
    http://www.wacom.com/bambootablet/bamboofun_tech_specs.cfm

12. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

Also, if you buy the Bamboo fun tablet with the software, you are eligible to upgrade to PS CS3 for only $300. So you can end up getting both a tablet and CS3 for about $400. That's a pretty good discount off the regular price of Photoshop. :cool:

13. uMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info, but I already have a wacom tablet (Graphire)