Photoshop like program

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kage207, Sep 25, 2008.

1. kage207 macrumors 6502a

Is there any program like adobe photoshop for mac that is a little cheaper or free? I want to get a program that allows me to do high end graphics so I can start designing for a site.

2. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

Gimp

GIMP is really good. It can do most things Photoshop can. You need X11 to run it in, which you can get from your install disc if it's not in your Utilities forlder. www.gimp.org

3. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Well, there are a number of cheaper as well as free programs. What features of Photoshop do you need? Recommending something for "high end graphics" is kind of difficult.

Some people find Pixelmator useful. I haven't used it extensively though, I got a license as part of an application bundle but have since purchased CS3.

GIMP has many features, and is probably as good feature-wise as it gets without Photoshop. But the interface is ... lacking. Can't complain about the price though. ;-)

4. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

you could try photoshop elements

pixelmator is good too...

all quite cheap (i think within the $80 range) or less

5. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

TUAW just did a short review of the latest version of Pixelmator and loved it. It's only $59 (but then again, Elements 6 can be had for 72 bucks from Amazon).

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...I would probably have to recommend PS Elements as well. It does *most* of what *most* people need and if you need more later and come up withy some extra $$ Abode usually offers a decent upgrade path to the full Photoshop and once in a while offers a really good price, usually a couple months before the next version is announced....oh yeah!

7. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

I have Photoshop Elements and have thoroughly enjoy it.

8. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

Seashore is useful and free (although a little limited).

GIMPshop is also great - it's the GIMP programme with menus laid out like photoshop (like GIMP you'll need to run it through X11).

9. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

I've heard reports that GIMP is broken in Leopard (due to changes in X11), though I haven't confirmed that myself. As everyone above has mentioned, there are lots of choices for paid apps out there; if you're going to do paid work, it's worth investing in something with a friendlier user interface.

10. Cantello macrumors member

11. Slumbercub macrumors regular

I would recommend Acorn. Despite its uncluttered interface it is very powerful. Pixelmator is also very good but the GUI is absolutely horrible, in my opinion. Pallets and huds all over the place and the shiny black makes the tools difficult to find. If it had a proper Mac like UI it would be the one but as it stands, I don't like it.

My tastes are irrelevant though, you may think differently, what we can all agree on, I hope, is that both Acorn and Pixelmator are great apps. One of them will be right for you.

12. Cantello macrumors member

I would also recommend Acorn, but I bought a Pixelmator license early on and did not want to spend money on another image editor, therefore I stick with Pixelmator for the moment.