Photoshop/LR image PP on iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by antuk, Jun 7, 2012.

1. antuk macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, I am brand new to this forum. I am about to buy a new iMac and have no experience WSE on this machine. I do plenty of PP of images on my PC running Win 7. My questions:
    I am thinking to install my win photoshop and LR on my new iMac under windows running on mac. Will this combo give me a better, faster, working experience than working directly on my PC ?
    II - if I install PhS and/or LR directly under iMac OS will I have a better working experience? (this, however, requires a much larger investment as I need to buy the mac versions of these s/w...)
    Thanks.

2. snberk103 macrumors 603

Depending on how you purchased Ps and Lr, you may not need to purchase new SW at all. If your versions are current, then just download and install on the iMac (you get 30 days free trial regardless) and see if your license code works. Or see if there is a Mac install on the DVD. From what I've been told by people with knowledge of these matters, it may work. It depends on the version you have. Adobe currently allows you install onto two computers, as long as you don't use both computers simultaneously.

If that doesn't work, call Adobe. They usually - I'm told - will allow you to 'cross license' from a Windows to Mac (and vice versa) for a nominal fee.

Again, from my readings - not personal experience - you likely won't be happy running Ps and Lr in a Windows virtual machine, though it should run just fine on Boot Camp.

And finally, don't forget to "deauthorize" your Adobe applications on the Win 7 before you install on the Mac. A failure to install properly on the Mac may just mean that you've forgotten about licencing the Adobe things previously and you're already at your 2 machine limit.

Good Luck.

3. BernardPhoto macrumors newbie

BernardPhoto

You will absolutely have a better working experience if you can run Photoshop and Lightroom natively on the iMac. I teach workshops in both software. I don't remember if the licensing is cross-platform or not. As mentioned above, find out from Adobe and make sure you deauthorize the old license if moving the license from one computer to another.