Photoshop/LR/SEFEX Pro users

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by algrove, Nov 3, 2012.

1. algrove macrumors newbie

I have been reading this site for years, but never came on here.

I travel often for extended periods all over the world and use my 11" maxed out 2010 Mac Air currently for sorting/cataloging images, but not optimizing them as yet. I bought the 11" because when on airplanes if the person in front reclines their seat then a 13" (I own the first 13" Air) is moved into your chest and is very difficult to use, but I find the 11" is easier to use in those situations.

Nevertheless, I am wanting to start using Photoshop on my photo travels on a larger 13" screen and I do not want to carry much more weight than my current Air, but need more power.

I must say I am totally disappointed with the new 13" MBP since I was waiting for it to come out with specs similar to the 15" Pro, i.e., with quad-core & 16GB of RAM which I want as on my home 32GB Mac Pro files often take a long time to process/open/etc.while usingPhotoshop.

I see the weight of the retina 15" is about the same weight of the 13" regular which is upgradable to 16GB RAM MBP. So it appears the retina display is MUCH lighter.

Anyone heard that 16GB on the new 13" MBP is eminent? Any other comments on the above which might help me make a decision within the next 3-4 months?

Thanks for reading this to the end.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The 13" MBP just received some attention by apple, you're not going to see any new updates to the line for a little while.

3. CASLondon macrumors 6502a

If you are serious about using photoshop, you will want to consider the 15" as opposed to the 13. The 15 retina is a pretty tidy sleek machine.

Photoshop eats RAM for breakfast.

For more information, consult the articles at

http://macperformanceguide.com

There are whole lists of articles about optimising Macs for photoshop, as well as notes and reviews of the current lineup of machines by a mac tech and photographer.

4. stevelam macrumors 65816

8 gb is fine. Photoshop only uses as much ram as you assign to it.

OP I have no idea why you would ever think the specs of the 13" would be the same as the 15". Since when has that EVER been the case at apple?

Also the RMBP has an SSD. I assume your Mac pro at home still uses a slow ass platter drive. Opening files will be MUCH faster on the MacBook.

5. algrove, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013

algrove thread starter macrumors newbie