Photoshop & MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Unica, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Unica macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I am a retouching artist, and am getting myself a MBP. Being photoshop that I use 99.9% of the time, and sometimes a bit of Illustrator and Dreamweaver. I would like to know your feedback on the best combination of the system resources to optimize my system for photoshop.

My use is photoshohp, photoshop, photoshop.. :)

I will be using CS2 or CS3.... havn't decided yet. But since CS3 is native to MBPs... maybe...

anyways, heres the specs:
    1. 15"
    2. Intel Core 2 Duo
    3. 2.16 Ghz processor
    4. 2 Gb Memory
    5. 128 Mb ATI graphics
    6. 120 Gb Hard Disk
    7. 4 Mb L2 Cche per processor
    8. 667 Mhz Bus speed

I also have a Western Digital External HD, 320GB (usb connected).

so suggestions on setting up scratchdisks, memory and image cache etc to optimise the above combination of elements.

Thanx :)

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I think you'll need more RAM than that. (4 Gb would suffice, I'm sure) It's surprising how much the CS apps (primarily photoshop) hog up.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

1. Use CS3. CS2 through Rosetta is just far too cumbersome and slow for someone who uses Photoshop day in, day out. If it's your day job, then don't even consider CS2, go out and buy CS3.

2. RAM. iBlue is right, 2gb is a good starting point but you'll feel you need more within a couple of months, if not immediately.

3. Scratch disk. If your external drive was a firewire drive I would say use your external as a scratch disk. I use a MBP at home for print design and a dual G5 at work. The biggest and most obvious bottleneck in the MBP appears to be disk access and I guess that's due to its rotational speed. As soon as I can get a 7200rpm 250gb or larger drive for this machine, I probably will.

4. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I think that particular machine maxes out at 3GB, doesn't it? If I remember correctly the Santa Rosa machines are the only one that will take 4GB.

5. Unica thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, i think on my system, 3Gb is the max that can be installed. However, I did read somewhere that if equal Gb is not installed on both slots (like a pair) it does not make much difference.

I mean as in if 3Gb is installed, even then Photoshop will work as though 2GB is installed....

not sure if I am right on this, but I just got this info from somewhere...:confused:

6. iBunny macrumors 65816

I use CS3 with my MBP. And 4GB is much better than 2.

7. Unica thread starter macrumors newbie

:(
    I do wish I could get it at 4gb, but I doubt it. This system is the 2.16Ghz Core2Duo, and i think it can take only a maximum of 3gb memory....

anyone with this config system?
    1. 15"
    2. Intel Core 2 Duo
    3. 2.16 Ghz processor
    4. 2 Gb Memory
    5. 128 Mb ATI graphics
    6. 120 Gb Hard Disk
    7. 4 Mb L2 Cche per processor
    8. 667 Mhz Bus speed

Have u been able to up the ram to 4gb or is 3 the max?
    But conidering if its 3, it will not be a pair of similar rams, how is the performance?
    thanx :)

8. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

You shouldn't have any problems, I have a 2.33 MBP with 2gigs of ram and I have no issues. I would advise you to pick up a copy of CS3, I just purchased a student license and it has really improved my productivity. CS2 works, but it gets tiring having to wait for everything to open... sounds petty but it makes a huge difference. I don't dread opening up photoshop anymore.

Oh, and the Logic Board will only recognize 3 gigs

9. Unica thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanx djejrejk, so I guess I should be ok if I use 2 gigs :)
    Also, have u tried using CS2? did you have to install it under rosetta? or did you just install it like you did CS3?