Photoshop on macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jumpthegap, Oct 22, 2010.

1. jumpthegap macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Hi. I'm a designer and am moving more into the digital age. I'm going to be using Photoshop all day from now on. I've previously been using a borrowed MacBook pro with 4gb ram, however I'm trying to keep costs low and buy a MacBook with 2gb ram. I want to know how much of a difference I will notice and will it operate with ease. Cheers guys.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It'll work but it won't be very happy. I suggest getting the 2Gb of ram then buying 4gb from OtherWorldComputing or other online retailer and selling the 2Gb.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Not enough. Believe me, I tried for a few weeks. Go for four as Intell has stated. :)

4. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Yeah, if you're going to be using Photoshop that much 2GB RAM isn't going to be enough. You could, however, upgrade yourself if you know what you're doing.

5. TheAllStar macrumors member

TheAllStar

My 2GB seem to get the job done just fine, but I don't usually do very intensive PS work. It's pretty cheap to fill the other two slots yourself after you order, so I'd get a MacBook or MacBook Pro and upgrade yourself.

6. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

4gb isn't that expensive, and you will notice the upgrade across ALL applications.

HOWEVER, if you cant afford the 4gb upgrade yet, photoshop will run fine on 2gb, it just wont be as speedy. It will definitely still work though. Contrary to what others are saying, photoshop only needs a huge amount of ram when working with very large files such as raw images off of cameras.

That being said, there will always be someone saying you need more ram for something than you actually need. CS 5 only REQUIRES 1gb of ram.

7. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

2gb is enough, depends what you work on in photoshop, BUT more ram is always better, to be honest anything over 4ft by 4ft is trouble on 2gb, its possible but it will be slow in transformations and saving.

photoshop will eat hard drive space if it finds that the ram isnt enough, but ram is primary choice of temp saves.

if you want to save money and you work on small stuff like websites and anything not bigger than an illustration board 2gb is enough.

i learned this when i started working as a designer, i ahve a 2gb macbook and it serves my purpose, but when it comes to billboards and booth sizes and tarpulins and advertisements in malls, i always switch to a desktop, with at least 4gb, sometimes 6gb on a quad core. depends on the size