Photoshop on UMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jordan eff, May 11, 2009.

1. jordan eff macrumors regular

i just got a efit version of adobe creative suit CS2 but i only installed photoshop and imageready but photoshop seems to run very very slowly compared to when i had PS CS on my 1.8Ghz pc so i thought using it on a CD2 2.4Ghz with 2GB ram would give it a good boost, anything i can do to fix this

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I believe CS2 was pre-intel and would run much slower on an Intel machine due to emulation.

3. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

It's because CS2 is a PPC app, you're running it via Rosetta. It's going to be dog slow. You'll need a Universal version of CS to run nice (like CS4).

4. jordan eff thread starter macrumors regular

even if i switch to the 8600GT and add more ram it wont go any better? :confused:

5. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Your problem is that you're trying to run CS2 on an intel machine, it has nothing to do with ram/gpu. :)

6. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

It may be a small improvement, though I don't know how much

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you're not familiar with Rosetta, it's a process that allows Intel Macs to run software that was written for the PowerPC Macs. It's cool because without it, people with Intel Macs couldn't run software written for PowerPC Macs (and would have to go buy everything again), but one of the downsides is that it slows things down (because it has to translate everything between Intel and PPC).

As mentioned, if you find a version of CS written specifically for the Intel processors, it'll run a lot faster.

8. jordan eff thread starter macrumors regular

i'm really annoyed at this now, i went to the apple store asking about photoshop and said that the current one CS4 is way too expensive for me and they specifically told me that if i could get a copy of either CS or CS2 i would do me fine and they mentioned it would be alot better because its not as big as CS4 so i bought CS2 now its so slow, apple workers no whats best :mad:

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Apple Store employees don't know anything. This should not be news.