Photoshop Panels disappearing when clicking on another app

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chelsel, Sep 20, 2007.

1. chelsel macrumors 6502

I think this is the default behavior for the Mac... but I'm trying to use Instant Messenger (ichat) to talk to someone and describe something to them about Photoshop... but when I click on the chat window the photoshop palettes/panels disappear...

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, that's how Photoshop works. Take a screenshot, or use screen-sharing on one of the IM protocols that support it.

3. chelsel thread starter macrumors 6502

yyuck... I feel like I just did a straight shot of tequila... you mean I can't just leave an app on the screen and move to another app without the original app closing its windows!!

Running photoshop, taking a screen snapshot, opening a paint program, pasting the image and then going to iChat, just to discuss a panel on photoshop seems pretty bass ackwards... (this is not the behavior on Windows).

Some things I don't think I'll ever get used to on the Mac... pity the hardware and graphics are so pretty :)

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

No, windows will stay, but floating palettes will disappear. Same thing happens with Microsoft Office, switch to another app and the floating formatting palettes become hidden

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

This is just another example of Mac OS being designed for multitasking and Windows for doing one thing at a time. I regularly have Photoshop, Illustrator and Dreamweaver open at the same time. If all of their panels remained visible when other apps are visible, it'd be highly confusing to find the right panel that corresponds to the top application.

6. RacerX macrumors 65832

Open a paint program? Why? And you have Photoshop open, isn't that a paint program? Document windows don't disappear in Photoshop.

What is pretty bass ackwards is all the extra steps you added because being a Windows person (and drinking tequila while using a foreign platform) you are listing steps needed to do screenshots in Windows.

What is even more bass ackwards is that Adobe had to rework the Windows version of Photoshop to be a rooted app when they ported it (back at version 2.5, the first version available for any other platform other than Macs). Neither the Mac or Unix versions of Photoshop required this limitation. While the Windows' version of Photoshop may display what seems like "normal" behavior to you, it is alien behavior for long time Photoshop users on it's original platform.

7. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

Use Expose to flip between the two in an instant. You've also got the dock to help you.

It may seem awkward in this situation, but it is anything but backwards.