Photoshop Ques

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by True Tao, Nov 5, 2011.

1. True Tao macrumors member

i have a photo of a cabinet in a room and i want to see how different stain colors would look on it. the stain colors are on another photo is there a way to pick the colors in one photo and apply them to the other? Any tutorials? I did a search but couldn't find anything dealing with wood

Thanks appreciate it

2. simply amazing macrumors member

First and foremost, duplicate the image layer so you can mask any part of the image you want and so you can change the opacity of the image for an easier way of toning down colors to match the stain.

There are three quick ways i can think of:

1. Add a color balance or channel mixer adjustment layer and change the sliders until you get the stain color you want.. doing this will change the color of the whole image, so you'll have to mask off the environment when you're done.

2. Add a new layer, fill it with a color similar to the stain, then change the layer blending options to either Hue, Overlay or Color (whichever works best). this, too, will affect the whole image, so you'll have to do the same with the environment of the image as the first step. if you need to play around with the colors, you can re-fill the layer with whatever color you want and the same effect will take place.

3. go to the menu bar up top and click on "Image > Adjustments > Replace Color...". A dialog will pop up showing the eyedropper tool. With the eyedropper tool, click on the cabinet in the actual image. Slide the "Hue" bar in the dialog box to whatever value just so you know what part of the cabinet changes color. Now, click on the eyedropper tool with the "+" sign in the dialog box and click on the remainder of the cabinet that hasn't been selected yet until it's all the same color. Slide the bars until you're happy with the stain color. *Note: if you have similar colors around the image to that of the cabinet, you would have to mask the environment off that image, as those will change color as well.

i hope at least one of those steps can help!

3. hansolo669 macrumors regular

first off: photo shop is not a easy magical tool.

second: could you (op) post a picture of the cabinet(and the stain pictures)? this would help to find a (easy) solution to your problem. any one of simply amazing's suggestions should work, but i think that with a little extra info from you we can find a easier work around.

4. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I don't think stain is a custom blend product like paint is. You need to match the color choices you build on your computer to stains that already are on the shelf at the store. The links here are to sites that have stain color palettes for you to work from. If you don't make the color you want one that matches what you can buy, you are wasting your time.

Dale

http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/stains-color-guide/

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/wood-finish-color-charts.aspx

http://www.woodyougainesville.com/colors.htm

5. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

There is a match colour option in photoshop

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-editing/match-color/

Another easy way to do it would be to use the info pallet to sample a point in your both your images and then use curves to make the RGB values match.

However as other have pointed out photoshop vs real world may be completely different

Eg, I could change hair to look blonde in a photo, that does not mean it would exactly like that if i died in blonde in real life.

But hey if all your after is an idea it might be good enough, and its a handy to know in photoshop too,