Photoshop Quits on launch and misc.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bcortens, May 6, 2008.

1. bcortens macrumors member

bcortens

Hello
    I have a iBook G4 with 1Gb of RAM and the 1.33Ghz G4.
    I just downloaded the trial version of photoshop from adobe's website and after installing photoshop I tried to launch it.
    It launches, has the splash/load screen but just after it loads the palettes and before they become interactive (ie. cannot click open yet or any other interface elements) it just crashes. Quits and asks if I'd like to send an error report. I tried reinstalling it but it still crashes at the same place.

A few unrelated problems that may be symptoms of a much bigger lower level problem are.
    1. Repairing disk permissions or verifying disc permissions never gets past the 1/5 mark on the progress bar and the status window never reports anything at all, it just says "repairing permissions for "Macintosh HD"".
    2. In the desktop tab of system prefs there is no option to disable the translucent menu bar, its running the latest version of OS 10.5 and has all the latest updates.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

We had a computer at work have a similar sounding problem with Photoshop recently, and a bit of snooping around online uncovered a solution. It might not be the same issue, but worth a try eh? ;)

Do you have any other disks or drives on your desktop – DVDs, iPods, hard drives (other than your Mac's own drive, of course)? If so, try unmounting them off your desktop and then restarting Photoshop – that did the trick for us. Apparently there's a long standing bug with the app where if there are other volumes on your desktop it can – occasionally – throw a hissy fit and refuse to boot up properly.

Like I say, it's a bit of a long shot and might not be the same issue you're experiencing, but you never know...

3. bcortens thread starter macrumors member

bcortens

Just tried your suggestion and ejected all the drives, sadly it was no help, thank you for the suggestion though.
    (I don't really think I had to respond with this, but I think its a good idea to keep up to date with things I've tried in case someone asks if I've tried something that's been suggested or not)

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Indeed, it's always good to let folk know if suggestions have worked or not – for one thing, it's useful if anyone experiences a similar problem to yours in the future, they can do a search and see what might and what might not solve their issue.