Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
For the iPad? Probably nowhere.

Putting aside Adobe's "Mobile" strategy (as far as iOS and Android are concerned), they'd still need to rewrite Photoshop for iOS. On top of that, Photoshop doesn't run great on my SP3 with 4 GB RAM.

Personally, I think the UI for Photoshop is terrible on tablets - there's just "too much" for an application.
Having said that, I'm really hoping Adobe steps up it's game on the apps that already exist for iOS - adding functionality and have tighter integration between apps (and between the mobile apps and the desktop apps - like they did with Photoshop and the old mobile photoshop app).

Reactions: M. Gustave

xaqt93

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
I have to ask...does anyone know if we can start using Windows 10 on an iPad? It looks interesting and I would love to try it...The iPad Pro is powerful, so if it is possible to use this version of Windows 10 on an iPad, I would freaking love to try it.

Reactions: bernuli

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
I have to ask...does anyone know if we can start using Windows 10 on an iPad? It looks interesting and I would love to try it...The iPad Pro is powerful, so if it is possible to use this version of Windows 10 on an iPad, I would freaking love to try it.

Nope. There are so many reasons, but short and simple is No.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Because the full version of Photoshop runs like utter crap on my Surface Pro 3 with 4 GB RAM?
i had no issues with this: are you working especially large files?
[doublepost=1481604142][/doublepost]
I'm sure Intel is thrilled.
MS has already expressed dissatisfaction with skylake on quality issues. Ongoing power concerns can't help. kabylake seems like another "meh" release

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
Could be or Apple is afraid full version of Photoshop mobile app for iOS might kill Mac line....

Do you not understand that the "full version of Photoshop" was written for a different processor architecture, a different storage paradigm, a different input device, and a completely different world that is pretty much history now?

Reactions: bensisko

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Do you not understand that the "full version of Photoshop" was written for a different processor architecture, a different storage paradigm, a different input device, and a completely different world that is pretty much history now?

No I don't understand Adobe programs were written for all different processors - ARM, Intel, AMD, Tegra, RISC, Motorola.....

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
Could be or Apple is afraid full version of Photoshop mobile app for iOS might kill Mac line....

HA!!!!!!!!
(1) Apple is already pretty set on iOS being the focus of the company over the Mac, so if anything it would be the opposite.
(2) The Mac line has diversified so that creatives are no longer the sole audience for the Mac.
(3) Apple would LOVE to have more advanced apps on iOS - it would promote iOS as a creation tool and encourage more developers to make cool, powerful stuff.

Among many, many other reasons!
[doublepost=1481683240][/doublepost]
i had no issues with this: are you working especially large files?

Nope. I have some particularly large files, but edit those on my MacBook.

I tried a fresh install of Win 10, but Photoshop still runs terrible - it's SO slow!!
[doublepost=1481683345][/doublepost]
Apple said NO to Adobe....I think you guys know why.....

That never happened.

MechaSpanky

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
I'm fine with Photoshop as it is but one huge improvement that I'd love to see is Photoshop running without a subscription.

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania

You keep saying this, but you seem to forget that everything you use on your iPad, from the tiniest UI icons to the full apps, was made and can be made only by using that technology you deride.
[doublepost=1481701479][/doublepost]
from the verge: photoshop and windows 10 running on arm
http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/8/1...s-full-windows-10-with-photoshop-on-arm-chips
i am not sure where this takes us, but it does present interesting possibilities

This has the potential to put the iPad and Android tablets out of business. Not necessarily because Photoshop will run on ARM but because the market will be flooded with cheap, powerful tablets with all day long battery, running the full version of Windows and all the available software.

Last edited:

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
You keep saying this, but you seem to forget that everything you use on your iPad, from the tiniest UI icons to the full apps, was made and can be made only by using that technology you deride.

Please quote the post where I said Macs/PCs don't have a role still. In fact what I "keep saying" is that there is no reason to turn the iPad into a Mac, because they're totally different machines with different usage.

Reactions: bensisko

Mathias Denichi

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2013
Please quote the post where I said Macs/PCs don't have a role still. In fact what I "keep saying" is that there is no reason to turn the iPad into a Mac, because they're totally different machines with different usage.
There will be a cross over some time or another within the next 5-8 years. It can't stay as two separate devices forever. That's a good way to not adapt and lose to the competition. The iPad will eventually be the main computing source for Apple, and the Mac will either fade out or merge into the iOS world.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
This has the potential to put the iPad and Android tablets out of business. Not necessarily because Photoshop will run on ARM but because the market will be flooded with cheap, powerful tablets with all day long battery, running the full version of Windows and all the available software.

Nope.

First of all, there are, and have been, cheap Windows tablets available. A Windows tablet can ONLY "win" in where people want something that is both a tablet and replaces their Windows laptop, they don't choose a Windows tablet as a casual device in the same way they choose an iPad or Android tablet.

Second, an ARM processor doesn't automatically mean all day battery life. Those Surface RT devices certainly didn't. Now imagine having to run an emulation layer for non-ARM native apps (most of them)!

Hats off to Microsoft for going back to the ARM well after it failed so miserably before - it sounds like they solved the biggest block. In the end, though, it's just not going to change things - at least not as far as iPads and Android... FAR more likely to impact existing laptop sales. OEMs are far more likely to continue making the touchscreen laptops they're making now.
[doublepost=1481720278][/doublepost]
There will be a cross over some time or another within the next 5-8 years. It can't stay as two separate devices forever. That's a good way to not adapt and lose to the competition. The iPad will eventually be the main computing source for Apple, and the Mac will either fade out or merge into the iOS world.

Ehhhhhhhh...... Apple seems pretty intent on maintaining two separate OS. It really depends on how well Microsoft does. Their Continuum strategy sounds cool, but they really only have serious game in the desktop market (laptop/desktop/hybrid) so at the moment there's not really any serious reason to push for integration.

Having said that, if anyone can make a Continuum type strategy work, it's Apple. Microsoft has done a great job making it work with Windows 10 - but the UI is still very much desktop focused. In the coming years, with other devices like Holographic in the works, Microsoft has VERY good cause to fix this and it has the potential to be amazing. Apple could come in and create an adaptive UI that fits the particular device better than what anybody else is doing.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
There will be a cross over some time or another within the next 5-8 years. It can't stay as two separate devices forever.

Why? Look at Google, they just confirmed that Android and Chrome OS are not merging, and the difference between those is even smaller than between iOS and Mac OS.

Not to mention, people who need Mac OS don't seem to like the form factor of iPad (no ports, no attached keyboard) or its pointer method (touch).

Mathias Denichi

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2013
Nope.

First of all, there are, and have been, cheap Windows tablets available. A Windows tablet can ONLY "win" in where people want something that is both a tablet and replaces their Windows laptop, they don't choose a Windows tablet as a casual device in the same way they choose an iPad or Android tablet.

Second, an ARM processor doesn't automatically mean all day battery life. Those Surface RT devices certainly didn't. Now imagine having to run an emulation layer for non-ARM native apps (most of them)!

Hats off to Microsoft for going back to the ARM well after it failed so miserably before - it sounds like they solved the biggest block. In the end, though, it's just not going to change things - at least not as far as iPads and Android... FAR more likely to impact existing laptop sales. OEMs are far more likely to continue making the touchscreen laptops they're making now.
[doublepost=1481720278][/doublepost]

Ehhhhhhhh...... Apple seems pretty intent on maintaining two separate OS. It really depends on how well Microsoft does. Their Continuum strategy sounds cool, but they really only have serious game in the desktop market (laptop/desktop/hybrid) so at the moment there's not really any serious reason to push for integration.

Having said that, if anyone can make a Continuum type strategy work, it's Apple. Microsoft has done a great job making it work with Windows 10 - but the UI is still very much desktop focused. In the coming years, with other devices like Holographic in the works, Microsoft has VERY good cause to fix this and it has the potential to be amazing. Apple could come in and create an adaptive UI that fits the particular device better than what anybody else is doing.
I agree, ipad is superior for touch currently, but leaving Microsoft to improve it with every iteration will eventually catch up. It's already way more touch friendly in tablet mode than it was a year and a half ago on release. The gaps will soon close, and the need for two devices argument will soon look trivial.

Apple has responded to the SP4 with the iPad Pro, and are working from the other end making iOS into a full laptop experience, but with touch.Both companies are eventually looking for one device in the middle, and having one OS unity for all devices. Look at the new naming scheme for macOS now, and the cross pollination of iOS features on macOS.

The only thing that will throw touch based computers off, will be a very well implemented augmented reality. Then either with a screen will look like old tech.
[doublepost=1481721307][/doublepost]
Why? Look at Google, they just confirmed that Android and Chrome OS are not merging, and the difference between those is even smaller than between iOS and Mac OS.

Not to mention, people who need Mac OS don't seem to like the form factor of iPad (no ports, no attached keyboard) or its pointer method (touch).
Google is so full of ****, I never believe them. They change their minds constantly.

I need a full laptop for most of my work, but am passing by with Remote Desktop and a toucpoint Gte mouse. The iPad Pro is my main device mobily, but I do wish I could run many x86 applications. I'm not impressed fully with Apple or Microsoft offerings for a laptop device this year. I'll change my mind once the new kaby lake and onward 15-25w CPU get a quad core, or if the SP5 can offer much better battery life.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
I agree, ipad is superior for touch currently, but leaving Microsoft to improve it with every iteration will eventually catch up. It's already way more touch friendly in tablet mode than it was a year and a half ago on release. The gaps will soon close, and the need for two devices argument will soon look trivial.

I haven't seen Windows 10 become any more touch-friendly than when it was released (I'm running the Insider version). I REALLY hope that Microsoft catches up - I think they should make "Tablet Mode" more like what it was in Windows 8.

IApple has responded to the SP4 with the iPad Pro, and are working from the other end making iOS into a full laptop experience, but with touch.Both companies are eventually looking for one device in the middle, and having one OS unity for all devices. Look at the new naming scheme for macOS now, and the cross pollination of iOS features on macOS.

I don't think Apple is really looking for one device in the middle with one OS. In fact, Apple has decidedly said that's NOT the direction they're going.

IThe only thing that will throw touch based computers off, will be a very well implemented augmented reality. Then either with a screen will look like old tech.

I think Microsoft really has the right idea with Holographic - it's not something (at least for the foreseeable future) that's going to replace the desktop or tablet, but augment it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.