PhotoShop slowing down 2011 MBP.. Alot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shambles, May 19, 2011.

1. Shambles macrumors regular

On my MacBook Pro (standard 13" model), PhotoShop runs extremely slow, to the point of it causing music playing through iTunes to lag and beachballs every 10 seconds.

I only have iTunes and Chrome open when running it.

It's taking up to a minute just to open a document (around 600 Mb+ usually) and considerably longer when saving.

I run Utorrent every night, could that be the cause of this slowness? (When I close Utorrent and restart the Mac the slowness persists).

What can I do to speed up my Mac again? Cheers

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Check Activity Monitor for your memory usage. You may be using all of it and it's spilling into page outs. That will slow down the computer quite a bit. If that's the issue, upgrade to 8GB

3. Shambles thread starter macrumors regular

Erm heres the system memory tab.. Is RAM the problem?

[​IMG]

4. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Could possibly be disk fragmentation (and despite what you hear, any filesystem can get fragmentation when it has heavy I/O going on like uTorrent).

If anything, I'd torrent on a separate drive or a separate computer. How much free space do you have?

5. Shambles thread starter macrumors regular

I move the downloaded files onto a external harddrive when there finished downloading. So it would be better to download directly onto the external hd?

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Yeah, anything over maybe a couple hundred megs of Page outs will cause slowdowns, you could definitely use a RAM upgrade with 1.24 GB.

7. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Does everything run smoothly when Photoshop isn't running? It may be you don't have enough RAM if you are dealing with 600MB size documents.

8. Shambles thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah but I just use Chrome and iTunes really so you'd expect them to. Cinema 4D doesn't run that great but I assume that's down to the integrated graphics mostly.