Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pochi Hanaki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
16 gig m1 pro. The brush tool is super slow even with just one layer. Anyone else have that issue? **** Edit- Fixed by removing and reinstalling photoshop as suggested by Internaut

Last edited:

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Your video is blank.

M1 MBA here and Photoshop is working at normal speed. I'm assuming you've restarted your MBP to see if that made a difference?

Pochi Hanaki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
Your video is blank.

M1 MBA here and Photoshop is working at normal speed. I'm assuming you've restarted your MBP to see if that made a difference?
The video is not blank. I checked via my phone and computer and both show the video of the brush. Yes I have restarted I also just had photoshop as the only app open.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
The video is not blank. I checked via my phone and computer and both show the video of the brush. Yes I have restarted I also just had photoshop as the only app open.

Ok, I promise you it definitely was at the time I made my comment, but now I can see it on a different computer.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Ok, now that I see your video, I retract what I said before. I guess I don't normally use the brush that fast so that it can't catch up with the cursor, but I've now tried it both on an Intel Mac and M1 Mac and the M1 Mac definitely lags when you move the brush quickly whereas the Intel Mac doesn't. But mine doesn't lag as much as yours.

Graybeard7

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2021
Indianapolis, IN
Looking at your video it looks like there are at least 2 other images open in Photoshop with multiple layers. Could possibly be you have too much open in Photoshop and it's hogging your ram.

Reactions: Internaut

Internaut

macrumors 65816
Nuke it (the whole Adobe installation) and start again? Your experience isn’t my experience but my opinion of the Adobe software I use isn’t high and nothing anyone tells (or shows) me is exactly shocking. Since M1 I’ve not been able to get cloudy Lightroom/Photoshop interchange to work well. This can lead to some quite intricate Photoshop work being lost when it doesn’t go back into Lightroom (so I don’t rely on it, obvs).

Internaut

macrumors 65816
Looking at your video it looks like there are at least 2 other images open in Photoshop with multiple layers. Could possibly be you have too much open in Photoshop and it's hogging your ram.
Erm yes. Massive tiffs with lots of layers seems to be the great devourer of memory and drives memory pressure into the red. From a basic engineering perspective it’s something Adobe could handle better.

Pochi Hanaki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
No it is the same speed with just one open and one layer. It is just the brush that is so slow. Everything else in photoshop is fast.

Graybeard7

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2021
Indianapolis, IN
I would often have multiple images open when working on a shoot. My old 16gb ram Intel Mac would sometimes use up all the swap and I would have to close several images or it would completely choke. Same situation on an M1. 32gb Ram is needed if you want that kind of workflow. Especially with the file sizes generated today. And they will only get larger.

Pochi Hanaki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
Nuke it (the whole Adobe installation) and start again? Your experience isn’t my experience but my opinion of the Adobe software I use isn’t high and nothing anyone tells (or shows) me is exactly shocking. Since M1 I’ve not been able to get cloudy Lightroom/Photoshop interchange to work well. This can lead to some quite intricate Photoshop work being lost when it doesn’t go back into Lightroom (so I don’t rely on it, obvs).
Well that did it. Thanks, I am still not understanding what was so wrong with the previous installation that it effected the brush that bad. At last now I'm not so frustrated that I want to punch my brand new computer :)

Reactions: Internaut

Pochi Hanaki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
I would often have multiple images open when working on a shoot. My old 16gb ram Intel Mac would sometimes use up all the swap and I would have to close several images or it would completely choke. Same situation on an M1. 32gb Ram is needed if you want that kind of workflow. Especially with the file sizes generated today. And they will only get larger.
Yea I would return and get a 32 gig one but I put a tiny ding on the outside of the computer so I don't think they will take it back. The re-installation of photo shop fixed the brush issues.

Reactions: Graybeard7

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I'm glad OP resolved their issue, but just to note: completely nuking Adobe can be quite difficult, even using Adobe's cleaner app. Adobe squirrels away plists, hidden files, etc., all over your drive. I had a huge problem syncing Creative Cloud, with a key process "Core Sync" refusing to install/run on M1 (with no error messages to this effect). After multiple cleans and installs I finally got it working fine only after completely reinstalling MacOS to factory condition after erasing the entire drive. Even Adobe tech support using remote control of my MBP was unable to solve it after 1 hour of work.

Last edited:

metapunk2077fail

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2021
It also looks like you have Smoothing enabled on the brush but the check box is just out view in your video. It's the most hated feature for photographers, but some illustrators like to use it for smooth lines.

Pochi Hanaki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
It also looks like you have Smoothing enabled on the brush but the check box is just out view in your video. It's the most hated feature for photographers, but some illustrators like to use it for smooth lines.
I just tested that and this was exactly my issue. I think when I reinstalled it set it back to 10% as it was set accidentally at 100%. I thought there was an issue with my computer. I am surprised though that these high end pro Macs are so slow on smoothing.

Reactions: metapunk2077fail

metapunk2077fail

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2021
I just tested that and this was exactly my issue. I think when I reinstalled it set it back to 10% as it was set accidentally at 100%. I thought there was an issue with my computer. I am surprised though that these high end pro Macs are so slow on smoothing.

Smoothing is supposed to be slow. Yes, it defaults to 10% and can accidentally go to 100% very easily. Most people just turn it off completely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.