Photoshop: "Text selection" effect?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by Kahnyl, May 23, 2010.

  1. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

    Feb 2, 2009
    I've seen this effect used on a few sites. It's basically a box around the text with the background colors inverted or altered, exactly like you get when you Select All a text layer in PS.

    Does anyone know how to do this?

    Right now my best idea is to select the text and take a screenshot. Not the best solution.
  2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

    Mar 22, 2010
    I still can't picture what you mean. Can you point to an example?

    Is this what you're saying...?

    Layer 3 — Text (inverted?)

    Layer 2 — Smaller area of background color inverted (to create a box around the text)

    Layer 1 — Background color

    It can't be that simple. I must be missing something. :confused:
  3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

    Mar 22, 2010
    Here's my guess based on your description.

    Attached Files:

  4. Kahnyl thread starter macrumors 68000

    Feb 2, 2009
    Sorry my description sucked. Here's a screenshot of what I mean. In this, I just selected the text but I'd like to achieve the same look in a "proper", exportable way. The resolution is of course limited with screenshots.

    Attached Files:

  5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

    Mar 22, 2010
    It's the same technique that I used in my previous example with solid colors.

    • Top Layer is text.

    • Middle Layer is a duplication of the Background Layer, inverted and passed through the small box of the Mask.

    • Background Layer is the original image.

    Have you had much experience with Layers? Do you understand what a Mask does... how to create one and manipulate it?

    Attached Files:

  6. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502


    Jun 10, 2008
    Work smart, not hard:
    Put a white rectangle on top of the text (on its own layer) and put that layer in the Difference blending mode.

Share This Page