Photoshop types and differences...?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mogzieee, Feb 13, 2008.

1. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

Ok I want to get photoshop. BUT it's price is bloody ridiculous!! Going on £400 in the UK. But, I found Photoshop Elements which is about quarter the price of Photoshop, but then there is a better upgrade to the CS3 and CS3 Extended version...!? I am very confused.

So; my question is what are the differences between these types of Photoshop:

(cheapest)
    * Photoshop Elements 6
    * Photoshop
    * Photoshop CS3
    * Photoshop CS3 Extended
    (most expensive)

and my other question is; are there any good alternatives for photoshop on a Mac, such as Pixelmator, however of which my mate said isn't worth it's $69.

So yeah, any replies appreciated.

2. hessdesigns macrumors member

Ok, here goes: Your question begs another question: What is your level of experience, and/or how experienced do you want to become?

If you just want to make a few edits to photos, maybe put together a birthday card for a friend once in a while or something like that, save some money and go for Photoshop Elements. It's still a very powerful program and gives you a lot of features. If you are more advanced or plan on becoming an advanced user in the near future, might as well go for Photoshop CS3. The "extended" version adds some animation and 3D features, but nothing that I have experience with. Personally, I think there are much better animation and 3d programs you can use, and again, if you're not an advanced user, it's probably not worth the extra money.

Hope this helps!

3. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

Great advice, but to add, if you are a novice user just looking for a program to edit a few photos, look into Pixelmator. For basic needs, it's a great, solid program that will become more professional over time.

4. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Basically the more you pay the more you get. The good news is that about 98% of what photographers need can be achieved using Photoshop Elements.

5. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

PhotoShop and up are used for image rendering and manipulation.

6. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Surely Elements does that as well