Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingjames1970

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
Hampshire, UK
New Photoshop now out with touch bar support. It is very cool indeed. I will be using ALL the time.

One of the first things I noticed is that it gives you visible history states you can swipe through.

I am now convinced that this isn't a gimmick and Apple are on the right track. Much better than a touchscreen, certainly for a designer/photographer/

c.s.

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2007
Nice! Can't wait to see some video reviews. Watching the Photoshop demo during the keynote, I wasn't convinced it would be any faster than keyboard shortcuts. More of a convenience/fun thing. What other features do you find yourself using the most?

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I do not understand when people say things are a gimmick. Everything is a gimmick until developers make use of it. And it is up to the person using it too. I still think touch screens on laptops and desktops are a gimmick.

kingjames1970

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
Hampshire, UK
Nice! Can't wait to see some video reviews. Watching the Photoshop demo during the keynote, I wasn't convinced it would be any faster than keyboard shortcuts. More of a convenience/fun thing. What other features do you find yourself using the most?

Bit early to say! Just had a wee play with it and I was immediately stuck by how useful it could be. In particular not having to open palettes or go to menus when it is right there contextually where you are working. Brush size slider, colour picker and opacity are immediately there to be used. I imagine as I get deeper into it, it will become more and more useful.

thirstydude

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2016
i also tried it and what's really nice is the visual history line and the color picker. i don't really know how it's gonna add to the workflow, gonna have to get used to it, but it's nice so far.
brush sizes, new layer etc seem to work way faster via shortcuts, but i am very used to the shortcuts, so i'll give it a little time.

Cancelled
Feb 27, 2014
New Photoshop now out with touch bar support. /

I have Adobe CC with Photoshop 2017 installed. Upon seeing this thread I opened Adobe CC in an attempt to upgrade Photoshop CC 2017. There was no update available and my version of Photoshop does not make use of the TouchBar.

Where did you get this Photoshop 2017 upgrade?

Donald Barar

Update: Figured it out. I had to check for updates again.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I do not understand when people say things are a gimmick.
Perhaps it's because Apple was promoting it by showing how you can use it with emojis. They really didn't help sell it as a professional tool, with emojis imo.

Also, from my reading, many of the things you can do on the TB can be done via shortcut keys, which will generally be more efficient then trying to use the TB - just my opinion.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
I do not understand when people say things are a gimmick. Everything is a gimmick until developers make use of it. And it is up to the person using it too. I still think touch screens on laptops and desktops are a gimmick.

It's the X'th time someone makes a keyboard with programmable layout. It was a gimmick then, it a gimmick now. Razor had it for a few years on their laptop and dropped it, nobody was using it, it didn't drive any sales.

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
It's the X'th time someone makes a keyboard with programmable layout. It was a gimmick then, it a gimmick now. Razor had it for a few years on their laptop and dropped it, nobody was using it, it didn't drive any sales.

You are a gimmick, touch bar will be awesome when doing full screen editing and photoshop work, one hand on keyboard other on mouse, could set up actions and stuff with easy access on one button press instead of having to memorize stupid multi button keyboard shortcuts

Reactions: kingjames1970

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009

And we have had touch screens before too in the early 2000s.
[doublepost=1481642281][/doublepost]
Perhaps it's because Apple was promoting it by showing how you can use it with emojis. They really didn't help sell it as a professional tool, with emojis imo.

Also, from my reading, many of the things you can do on the TB can be done via shortcut keys, which will generally be more efficient then trying to use the TB - just my opinion.

Really? What were you watching? They showed photos and Final Cut and music production too.

jackoatmon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
OMFG it's sooooooo siiiiiick

the visual history is everything

the colour picker so sweet

gahhhh this is the best

can't frickin wait for them to get the touchbar going in lightroom and indesign

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
And we have had touch screens before too in the early 2000s.
[doublepost=1481642281][/doublepost]

Really? What were you watching? They showed photos and Final Cut and music production too.
Yes, they did show off PS, but they also showed off emojis which is my point.

jackoatmon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
Yes, they did show off PS, but they also showed off emojis which is my point.

Maflynn has been trolling since this product launched. Ignore. I just now noticed he's a moderator which is like infinite lols/turbo-irony

jackoatmon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
Just because I have an opinion is counter to yours means I'm trolling. :rolleyes:

No it's all the blatant trolling you've been doing that means you're trolling.

"Duurrrrrrrrr let's talk about emojis in a discussion of Photoshop Creative Cloud, a program I've never used before durrrrrrrrrr"

montanaco

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2016

I mean, they advertised it as a universal tool, in usual Apple fashion. Film, music, and photo work, check. Mail, photos, safari and other standard functions, check. iMessage, emojis, and other right hearted stuff, check. Lets not act like them showing an emoji function on the bar suddenly made it seem like they advertised a little gimmicky toy when they spent an hour showing off its "professional" uses (whatever that means).

Reactions: HenryDJP
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.