Photoshop updated w/touch bar support

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kingjames1970, Dec 13, 2016.

1. kingjames1970 macrumors regular

New Photoshop now out with touch bar support. It is very cool indeed. I will be using ALL the time.

One of the first things I noticed is that it gives you visible history states you can swipe through.

I am now convinced that this isn't a gimmick and Apple are on the right track. Much better than a touchscreen, certainly for a designer/photographer/

2. c.s. macrumors regular

c.s.

Nice! Can't wait to see some video reviews. Watching the Photoshop demo during the keynote, I wasn't convinced it would be any faster than keyboard shortcuts. More of a convenience/fun thing. What other features do you find yourself using the most?

3. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

I do not understand when people say things are a gimmick. Everything is a gimmick until developers make use of it. And it is up to the person using it too. I still think touch screens on laptops and desktops are a gimmick.

4. kingjames1970 thread starter macrumors regular

Bit early to say! Just had a wee play with it and I was immediately stuck by how useful it could be. In particular not having to open palettes or go to menus when it is right there contextually where you are working. Brush size slider, colour picker and opacity are immediately there to be used. I imagine as I get deeper into it, it will become more and more useful.

5. thirstydude macrumors newbie

i also tried it and what's really nice is the visual history line and the color picker. i don't really know how it's gonna add to the workflow, gonna have to get used to it, but it's nice so far.
    brush sizes, new layer etc seem to work way faster via shortcuts, but i am very used to the shortcuts, so i'll give it a little time.

6. dgbarar, Dec 13, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2016

dgbarar macrumors regular

dgbarar

I have Adobe CC with Photoshop 2017 installed. Upon seeing this thread I opened Adobe CC in an attempt to upgrade Photoshop CC 2017. There was no update available and my version of Photoshop does not make use of the TouchBar.

Where did you get this Photoshop 2017 upgrade?

Donald Barar

Update: Figured it out. I had to check for updates again.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Perhaps it's because Apple was promoting it by showing how you can use it with emojis. They really didn't help sell it as a professional tool, with emojis imo.

Also, from my reading, many of the things you can do on the TB can be done via shortcut keys, which will generally be more efficient then trying to use the TB - just my opinion.

8. Ries macrumors 68000

It's the X'th time someone makes a keyboard with programmable layout. It was a gimmick then, it a gimmick now. Razor had it for a few years on their laptop and dropped it, nobody was using it, it didn't drive any sales.

9. Jaekae macrumors 6502

You are a gimmick, touch bar will be awesome when doing full screen editing and photoshop work, one hand on keyboard other on mouse, could set up actions and stuff with easy access on one button press instead of having to memorize stupid multi button keyboard shortcuts

10. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

And we have had touch screens before too in the early 2000s.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 13, 2016 ---
    Really? What were you watching? They showed photos and Final Cut and music production too.

11. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

* runs to CC updater as fast as humanly possible *

12. montanaco macrumors regular

montanaco

Holy crap the visual history usage on the Touch Bar works great, that is SUCH a convenient feature. Fine tuning brush sizes and colors was also awesome. THIS IS SO COOL.

13. kokhoong0624 macrumors regular

kokhoong0624

14. montanaco macrumors regular

montanaco

You have to click check for updates and it will show up!

15. Carilyn macrumors member

Carilyn

16. MarcBou macrumors regular

Is this update available also in Photoshop CC 2015-2016? Or only 2017?

17. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

OMFG it's sooooooo siiiiiick

the visual history is everything

the colour picker so sweet

gahhhh this is the best

can't frickin wait for them to get the touchbar going in lightroom and indesign

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, they did show off PS, but they also showed off emojis which is my point.

19. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

Maflynn has been trolling since this product launched. Ignore. I just now noticed he's a moderator which is like infinite lols/turbo-irony

20. MarcBou macrumors regular

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Just because I have an opinion is counter to yours means I'm trolling. :rolleyes:

22. montanaco macrumors regular

montanaco

RIGHT???

23. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

So? They also showed Final Cut Pro. Its not like they spent an hour demoing Emojis.

24. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

No it's all the blatant trolling you've been doing that means you're trolling.

"Duurrrrrrrrr let's talk about emojis in a discussion of Photoshop Creative Cloud, a program I've never used before durrrrrrrrrr"

25. montanaco macrumors regular

montanaco

I mean, they advertised it as a universal tool, in usual Apple fashion. Film, music, and photo work, check. Mail, photos, safari and other standard functions, check. iMessage, emojis, and other right hearted stuff, check. Lets not act like them showing an emoji function on the bar suddenly made it seem like they advertised a little gimmicky toy when they spent an hour showing off its "professional" uses (whatever that means).