Photoshop vs. Aperature

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macgeek77, Apr 10, 2007.

1. macgeek77 macrumors regular

I am also really getting into photography. What application is better to work with my photos? Thanks.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

They cannot be compared. Aperture is a system for converting from RAW, storing, cataloguing and making global corrections to your images. It's strengths lie in it's Library system. Think of it like iPhoto for RAW images on steroids. Photoshop is for making global or non-global edits to single images. It does not maintain a library of images. It can't help you find that one image in 10000. They complement each other.

3. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

If you only want one, ask yourself if you're happy with iPhoto. If you are get Photoshop. If not, get Aperture.

4. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

If you're a photographer and not a graphic designer, there's a 95% chance you have no need for Photoshop. Aperture will let you edit photos and manage photo libraries far more efficiently.

5. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

Lightroom, Aperture, and Photoshop all have 30 day free trials... why not give them a whirl.

For myself I wanted to like Aperture but found it slow as a dog compared to Lightroom. Photoshop is essential for either application as neither will do the real hard core photo editing that Photoshop can do. I ordered both Lightroom and Photoshop CS3 and so far I really like the combo.