Photoshop won't open

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hanarak, Apr 11, 2009.

1. hanarak macrumors newbie

I just bought a Macbook (2.1ghz, 2 gig ram), but when I try to open Photoshop (CS3), a box comes up saying:

'The application Photoshop quit unexpectedly. MacOSX and other applications are not affected. Click relaunch to launch the application again. Click report to see more details or send a report to Apple.' Then I can click, 'Ignore', 'Report', or 'Relaunch'.

But when I click relaunch, the same message comes up again.

From reading around, I'm guessing I caused the problem myself. OSX's anti-aliasing gives me a headache, so following the advice of another forum post, I entered 'defaults write -g AppleAntiAliasingThreshold 128' into Terminal. This did a pretty good job of getting rid of the anti-aliasing - but I haven't been able to open photoshop since.

Any ideas? Will I have to cancel my earlier command (in which case, how?)? Or is there a way I can keep anti-aliasing off, and get Photoshop working as well? Thanks a lot...

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Try creating a new user account on your computer (System Preferences > Accounts). After creating the new user, log out and log in to the new account. See if Photoshop works now.

If it does, you know the problem lies with something in your account. Switch back over to your account try a Permissions repair for starters (Utilities > Disk Utility). If that doesn't work, you may want to remove the .prefs files from your library.

3. hanarak thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot Ziggy - Photoshop opened in the new account, so that's great...

I switched back to my original account and deleted the preference files from my library, but Photoshop still wouldn't load up. So now I'm about to do the Permissions repair thing, but just wanted to check first - I'm in First Aid, and I guess I click on 'Repair Disk Permissions'? But do I select 'Macintosh HD' or the one above it, '111.8 GB Fujitsu'?

Sorry if this is a stupid question... Thanks again...