photoshop

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Trout74, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Trout74 macrumors 6502

Is Photo shop Apple's flagship professional photography suite? and if so, will it run nicely on a NEW imac with 2-4 gigs of RAM?

My wife is getting starting in professional photography after being out for a while, we just plunked down several thousand on camera and lenses and I am thinking a 24" iMac with 4 gigs of RAM for her home studio.

What are your thoughts?

thanks

Trout

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I think it's fantastic but it might be more than she needs. Aperture is another popular tool with photographers but it's pretty basic; its main appeal is working with RAW images.

It will work fine with the iMac. The more RAM the better.

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

No Photoshop is made by Adobe and is their flagship professional photo / image editor.

Apple make Aperture which is aimed to compete with Adobe Lightroom and personally I think it is better.

Sounds good. Just make sure you calibrate your monitor correctly.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Photoshop is Adobe's flagship professional photography Program. Creative Suite 3 (CS3) is their suite. It will run nicely on a NEW iMac with 3-4 gigs of RAM. However the LCD monitor may not be completely colour-accurate for professional work -- most LCD's aren't. THis means that you either investigate a calibrated LCD or CRT option for critical colour correction, or learn to adjust for the inaccuracies of the built-in LCD.

5. Trout74 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, so are cinema displays accurate? or more accurate than iMac displays?
    Dont want to buy a Mac Pro, but I guess maybe that is the best option, they get so spendy when you buy the cinema displays............would the bottom end mac Pro greatly outperform a 24" imac?

THanks for your time
    trout

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

The bottom of the range Mac Pro would not be a massive speed jump over the 24¨ iMac unless you are doing things that require buckets of RAM. The advantage of the Mac Pros are that they are upgradable. They have a maximum internal hard drive capacity of 4TBs (6 if you use a case mod) and max RAM of 32GBs.

7. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Also Aperture needs a pretty good GPU/graphics card to run at optimal settings. Lightroom does not and therefore will run nicer on lower spec'd machines. That being said, they should both run nicely on the new iMacs and they aren't basic at all. They're quite good editors, they just don't seem as complicated when compared to Photoshop.