Photostream Deletion Sync

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by canadianpj, Mar 7, 2012.

1. canadianpj macrumors 6502

While I am very, very happy to delete from my photostream the changes are not syncing. I'm able to delete from iPhone but when I check iPhoto at home the deleted photos are still there.

Anyone else seeing this?

2. sharpycl macrumors 6502

sharpycl

I'm fairly certain I read in the release notes that the change only applies to the phone and not photostream in the cloud. So if you wanted to delete a photo on the other devices you have to manually delete the photo on the other devices.

3. canadianpj thread starter macrumors 6502

I would love confirmation of that. Seems to be a little cumbersome for those with say an iPhone, iPad and a Macbook. Still, if its the best I'm going to get for the time being it'll have to do.

4. gramirez2012 macrumors 6502a

When you delete a photo from your photostream, the confirmation screen even says "This photo will only be removed from the Photo Stream on this iPhone".

5. canadianpj thread starter macrumors 6502

<hangs head>

I hereby withdraw my question and will endeavour to improve my ability to read plain instructions given to me.

That being said, a deletion should be universal, but this will have to do.

<slinks away>

6. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Am I the only one who finds this absurd? I mean, the whole POINT of being able to delete Photo Stream pictures is to remove the pictures on OTHER devices, for example an Apple TV or a spouse's iPhone. It seems kind of ridiculous that we still can't do that!

7. canadianpj thread starter macrumors 6502

The only rationalization that I can think is that Photostream is a failsafe backup for some people. Allowing universal deletion from it could be done by mistake, now if you want to remove from Photostream it has to be damn purposeful.

Yet, still, being able to designate a device the "master" would be nice.

8. todd2fst4u macrumors regular

This doesn't really sound like deleting the photo, more like hiding the photo from the device.

9. sulliweb macrumors regular

sulliweb

Mine is deleting from iPhone and iPad... The confirmation for mine says all devices, not just this device. Some setting or something maybe??

10. gramirez2012 macrumors 6502a

Oddly, on some photos when I try it, it says it will only be deleted from the iPhone's photo stream - while other photos say it will be deleted from all devices. :confused:

11. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

New photos will be deleted from all devices. Old photos have to be deleted from each device separately.

12. canadianpj thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you. Works exactly like that, anything new deleted from any device disappears from them all.

13. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

Thank You, was worried about the handling of images before/after with this change. :)

14. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

Check out the new Apple app iPhoto ... you will be amazed at what capabilities it give you compared to the stock photo app. I was able to delete an old photo once and it was gone from all my iDevices. I'm suspecting this app is actually part of the update - for a price ($4.99) ... but worth it!

15. sulliweb macrumors regular

sulliweb

Ah, I had disabled PhotoStream, so that would make sense.

16. sharpycl macrumors 6502

sharpycl

Ah. Ok this makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

17. gobes macrumors member

What do you mean by old photos? Pre 5.1?

18. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Exactly.

19. nicktr macrumors newbie

Thanks for the clarification. I too thought it was a completely pointless feature, if you had to delete from all devices.

20. alflavor macrumors regular

21. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

Has anyone figured out how to delete photos directly from iPhoto's albums? There appears to be no delete function anywhere ... at least that I can find.

A magazine review of iPhoto claims you can delete the same way as with stock Photo - but that doesn't seem possible and I've searched just about every option. I have to delete from the stock Photos app.

I discovered instructions in the "Help" menu where you can supposedly delete from an album called Photo Box or Beamed. I don't have either. Obviously will need some further study on using this app.

22. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

It turns out that you can delete pre 5.1 photos. I posted the solution in this thread.

Frustrating that we aren't given the specific features. :(

23. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

24. FLYING SE7EN macrumors regular

FLYING SE7EN

So if my iPad is on 5.1, but my iPhone is on 5.01, then the photos in photostream that I delete on my iPad will not go away on my iPhone. Is that correct?

25. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

Most likely true because it was 5.1 that updated Photostream on each device to allow the deletion.