Photostream on iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by toddbe, Sep 22, 2012.

1. toddbe macrumors member

My new iPhone is working great with the exception of Photostream. It will not download the OLD pictures from iCloud to my iPhone.

I just tested Photostream with syncing it for the first time with iPhoto on my mac and all the 189 of my iCloud pictures downloaded to my mac on iPhoto.

New photos will upload from my iPhone to my mac, but I cannot get my old photos to my iPhone. I have turned Photostream off and on, and also deleted my iCloud account on my iphone and reenabled it. Same story... Any ideas?

2. jkeb macrumors regular

jkeb

I have the same problem, tried everything I know to do. Here I come genius bar.

3. pensfan24 macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem. Maybe it has something to with the amount of traffic the iCloud servers have bad over the past 24 hours...I don't know. Hope it's fixed soon.

4. TobyZiegler macrumors newbie

TobyZiegler

Well that is a pretty nasty bug. My iPhone 5 only has 25 pics from photostream. Have tried disabling it, waiting, and reenabling photostream... to no avail.

iPad 3 with iOS 6 shows me all the photostream pics, also the new ones shot with the iPhone 5. Seems to be a problem specially with the iPhone 5?

Apple, this is getting really bad now - i also have the scuffs! :eek:

5. Mongus macrumors newbie

Same issue photostream has only downloaded 351 of the 1000 photos in photostream. I turned it off and back on and it did the same 351. Any Ideas?

6. BFG86 macrumors 6502

Those pics probably have an ID as having originated from your phone and therefore assume they are already on the phone and wont get pulled down. Try resetting your photostream and then taking the pics that are on your mac and drop them back into photostream.

7. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Has anyone tried the suggestion above? I'm not near my Mac and am curious if this resolves the issue..

8. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

uuummmm......not sure if you guys are talking about the same thing but there's a 30 day window. I'm not sure if you are aware.

1,000 per 30 days if i'm not mistaken. It won't photostream sync older than 30 days pics.

9. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

No, My photostream is all pics of my daughter since she was born (she's 6 months now). I try to keep it around 500-600 pics. I never reach 1,000 which lets them stay there.

I just got my iPhone 5 yesterday. Only 52 pics showed up, even though there's over 500 pics in my stream.

10. n8ivg33k macrumors newbie

Photostream on iP5

I had the same problem this morning and noticed I was not on Wifi. Once I connected to my Wifi network, they all started dowloading no problems. Don't know if that helps but FWIW!

11. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Right, because everything after the latest 52 pictures are older than 30 days. Photo stream only keeps the last 30 days of photos in the cloud.

The idea is that you should have plenty of time to save them to your Mac or PC before they disappear from the cloud. Your device will still hold whatever was taken on it regardless of the limits (until you switch phones, as you have discovered).

Long-story-short, I hope you've saved the images of your daughter to your Mac/PC or kept them backed up in the camera roll. Otherwise they are gone.

12. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

No worries! I have them backed up times two lol It just bothered me that they weren't all showing up..

13. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Glad to hear it. That would've been heartbreaking.

14. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Oh I know!!! I am OCD about losing her pics/movies so I am CONSTANTLY backing up. It makes sense about the photostream though..

If I bought an iPad today and set up photostream I would have the 50 pics because they were within the month.. I guess having them on my 4S was just a good feeling knowing I had the full photostream on my device...

Is there a way to put an album from iPhoto into a "fresh" photostream? I'd like to clear it and then just put an album of my daughter... It looks nice on the screensaver for the Apple TV.

15. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Here's a suggestion from Apple's forums:

Don't know if this helps (probably won't if the photos are older than 30 days and haven't been downloaded), but perhpas it might.

16. JPM42 macrumors 6502

There is! Just select the pictures you want (or album or Event), click "Share" on the bottom right and select Photostream.

17. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Wow, that's a lot easier than I thought. Thanks!

I am assuming this will also change my photostream on my iPhone 5; thus, fixing the issue where it only shows 50 pics or so (previous 30 days). My Apple TV and MacBook both have 500-600 pics showing in the photostream, so I am guessing this will fix the issue. I'll try it out when I get home from work.

Thanks again!

18. devonxo macrumors member

I have 1000 photos in my photostream on my Mac, and they were all perfectly synced on my iPhone 4 as well. My iPhone 5 started with around 320 photos, but I wanted to see my entire photostream, so I tried turning it off and on and seeing if they would all download. Here's what happened after 4 attempts:

Attempt#1: 69 photos downloaded (after this I turned off auto-lock thinking maybe it stopped once the phone locked)
    Attempt#2: 99 photos downloaded
    Attempt#3: 89 photos downloaded
    Attempt#4: 139 photos downloaded

I stopped after getting 139 photos because I was heading out to work and leaving my wifi signal. But this just seems odd that each time I tried to re-sync, I would get a different number of photos, and oddly each time ending in 9. I'm going to try plugging my iPhone into my Macbook tonight and transferring some new photos from my camera to see if that helps any.