Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
This happens every now and again and I cannot work out what causes it.

Occasionally a .jpg file wont open in photoshop. I get an error message, although it opens fine in preview or painter.

Any clues? I've tried opening in Painter then resaving or resaving from preview with a different name but I still get the error message in photoshop.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Meh, different JPEG decoders, different bugs.

An OK workaround is to save as a different format in Preview/whatever, or use the clipboard to move the bits over.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
What's really annoying is that these are jpegs that were originally made in Photoshop and used to open fine. Even opening in Painter then saving out of Painter as a psd it still won't open in Photoshop. It has just started happening with a small bunch of files.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
It's not the cleanest method, but if I'm having trouble with a file I sometimes take a screenshot of it and work with that Of course, this only really works well with images that are smaller than the display's resolution.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
What's really annoying is that these are jpegs that were originally made in Photoshop and used to open fine. Even opening in Painter then saving out of Painter as a psd it still won't open in Photoshop. It has just started happening with a small bunch of files.

Do you use any photo broswser/etc. software that is able to make changes (comments, whatever) to EXIF data or that kind of thing? If that is messed up (or, at least, contains stuff that PS can't handle), and the other software tries to preserve it, the problem will persist across a re-save. Of course, it's going to be a pain avoiding this problem if you don't know where it starts :(

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
iMeowbot,

Not I usually just view things in preview or sometime the Photoshop browser, I don't use iPhoto at all. These are images that have only ever been through Photoshop or occasionally opened in Preview. And it only happenes with files that have the Photoshop icon.

I'll try and post a screenshot of the error message tomorrow, I'm not at the computer with the gammy files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.